VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm just starting out with video editing. I got VirtualDub and used it to convert my videos from 4:3 to 16:9 for YouTube and that worked great. But they are shaky and I researched on how to use DeShaker with it. I apologize if this should be in the Restoration area of this forum but I really am new at all of this so I thought I would start here.

I read a lot before I tried my first video. After a lot of research, I followed the directions on this site under this Basic Guide: http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/articles/deshaker_guide.htm

What happens is that when it is completely done, everything looks like it worked but when I try to open the new file on my computer so that I can see what it looks like, it hesitates for at least one minute (I haven't timed it), then when it starts to play, it is just audio, no video. The screen is completely black.

I downloaded Huffyuv v2.1.1 video codec because I wanted a lossless codec and wanted to save the file as .avi (the original is .avi). I don't know if this was right but almost all of the instructions simply said to choose the compression or choose a lossless codec but not which one. I looked up each of the video codecs on my pc but all the information said they were all used years ago, or for different file types, etc. Anyway, even the most basic instructions I could find on the internet were still no help in this area.

I ran the first pass by clicking the Output Playback button because that was what was instruction in the link above. I noticed in this forum that someone said the first pass should be started by choosing File -> Run Video Analysis Pass. I don't know if this would cause the problem?

Anyway, I searched all different ways but could not find anyone with the same problems. I saw black border problems but no trouble with just audio, no video. Thanks for your help.

--------------------------------------

Additional Info:

I started another video so that I could play with the settings, and found that before I start pass 1, the screen on the right is split in half horizontally. The top half is black and says, "No previous frame to match on." The bottom half shows my video (stretched because of the split) with white dots all over it and some of the settings on a green status bar underneath it (pan x -.04, pan y 0.34, rotate 0.006, zoom 0.99932, scene detection 0.1, ok blocks 100%).
    Last edited by she-ra; 18th Jan 2012 at 14:40. Reason: More Information
    Quote Quote  
  2. If it's split, this means you have interlace settings (I assume you have interlaced video then ? )

Can you import the export back into vdub ? Is it black (no picture) there as well ?

You're supposed to run the 1st pass, go back to the filters and re-adjust the 2nd pass settings, then select compression and export

The compression menu can be found under video=> compression . If you installed huffyuv, it should appear there

I ran the first pass by clicking the Output Playback button because that was what was instruction in the link above. I noticed in this forum that someone said the first pass should be started by choosing File -> Run Video Analysis Pass. I don't know if this would cause the problem?
    It doesn't matter, either works. But you have to go back into the filters and adjust the 2nd pass settings before exporting after running the 1st pass

Also make sure you have matching 32bit/64bit versions. e.g. x86 (32bit) vdub would need x86 codecs to run properly
    Quote Quote  
  3. I too ran into this problem and after pulling my hair out, scouring the Internet and finding only answers like "Read the manual" or "I solved it" (with no explanation), I saw this suggestion to use File/Run Video Analysis Pass, and I can confirm that for me that is the ONLY way it will work. Otherwise, it will randomly do a frame here or there. The Play button >O does NOT WORK for Pass 1, on my system anyway. ONLY File/Run Video Analysis Pass seems to work.

Naturally, I suspected that the problem was Hardware Acceleration, since I seem to recall that Run Video Analysis always uses Software. So I tried to go to Options/Preferences/Display and turn off OpenGL, then DirectX altogether, and so forth. Nope. That did not work.

The only way I got it working was to do that File/Run Video Analysis Pass.

No idea what's going on here, but I hope that helps others that get that nasty "No Previoius Frame to match on" error!
    Quote Quote