VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all, I have a peculiar requirement - I need to view 4 videos on the same PC (e.g. I can open them with 4 VLC player instances) - but what VLC can't do is this:

1) I need to be able to jump 5 seconds and then freeze the frame, and do this on all of them.
    2) Hopefully synchronized, i.e. all of them jump at the same time, but not critical.
    3) ALso hopefully automatic, but not necessary- I will be happy to press a key to advance to the next 5 seconds on each player or clip view

I tried doing this with Virtualdub but it only allows jumping forward 50 frames at a time. Does anyone know how to change it so it jumps 5 seconds, not 50 frames? i.e. to 120 frames if it displays the movie at 24fps, is that true?

I need this to be pretty accurate (+-0.1 second).

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In virtualdub, you will find time option under- Go-Go to frame
    you can specify frame by number or by time
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, but that means I have to calculate the next number each time manually. Its a few clicks. I was looking for a one click option (this has to be done on four separate videos at the same time, it becomes a bit too time consuming).... but thanks all the same....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since you are, quite possibly, the only person in the world who wants this specific type of software feature, don't expect any developers to have made what you are looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Perhaps I can edit the open source code and change it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. are they all the same type and framerate videos ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes I believe so.... why?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Because if they are the same format, frame rate, dimensions , you can use avisynth and stackvertical with stackhorzontal to get a 2x2 grid. Some mediaplayers will seek in 5sec increments with the right arrow key e.g. kmplayer / potplayer .(I'm sure there are many others), If you pause it and use the arrow key, this will advance 5 sec to a still frame . If you start with play mode, it will still advance 5sec increments

But even if the dimensions are different, you can pad them by using addborders()
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'll look into that, much obliged...
    Quote Quote  
  10. e.g a template script might look something like this

Code:
    a = avisource("video1.avi")
    b = avisource("video2.avi")
    c = avisource("video3.avi")
    d = avisource("video4.avi")

top = StackHorizontal(a,b)
    bottom = StackHorizontal(c,d)

StackVertical(top, bottom)
    The point is, you can open 4 videos with 1 application/media player with 1 .avs script

There are a some "gotchas" , eg. they have to be the same framerate, dimensions (or pad them), same audio sample rate (or you can kill the audio, if you don't need audio), and a few other things . They don't all have to be AVI, you can use different source filters as well
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    There are a some "gotchas" , eg. they have to be the same framerate, dimensions (or pad them), same audio sample rate (or you can kill the audio, if you don't need audio), and a few other things .
    The audio doesn't matter when using the Stack...() functions - the audio from only the first clip is used, the rest are ignored.

Another thing you can do with this script is add, say
    SelectEvery(125)
    at the end. You can then single step through the result to see every 125th frame from the original videos. This would correspond to every 5 secs at PAL's 25 fps. This won't work so good for NTSC (if you really want exactly 5 seconds), since you don't have an integral no of frames in 5 secs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You may also want to have a resize command added to the script at the end, as otherwise the image will be double the width & double the height...

Also, even if you don't use the SelectEvery() command, by frameserving it to Vdub, you can use the [Page Down] to advance 50 frames at a time (30fps X 5 sec = 50frames x 3 advances).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wonder if VJ software such as VJamm or Resolume could do this - might be worth a look.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote