VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I am currently backing up my blu ray collection slowly but with my Blu rays I am converting to MKV due to the excellent X2654 & H264 codecs.

With my dvds, i have currently for the last 4-5 years being encoding using DivX which has left me with lots of 1-4gb DivX files.
    WIth my current collection of DVDs i can not use DivX as i use HDConverttoX, or handbrake. WHich container is best for DVDs, shall i use the entrusted MKV or MP4.

Last question my current collection of DivX files, i think they are starting to make my video files look untidy on my computer lol. What would be the best container for them, again MKV or MP4.
    I dont want to re compress the files. handbrake doesnt seem to have an option to repack the DivX files or am i missing something.
    HDConverttoX can Mux the file to MKV. WIll this simply repack the divx into MKV.

Otherwise what programs out there will simply repack my divx to mkv.

Cheers guys
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    MP4 doesn't have ANY advantages at all as a container over MKV. Well, maybe if you've got some device that supports it and not MKV, but in terms of what the container itself actually does, MKV beats them all.

Handbrake does convert to Divx, but you have to find an old version that still supported that output. You'll have to do your own research as to what version that was, but at least you know that it's still possible if you get the right old version.

The only way I know to get Divx into an MKV container would be to demux the Divx files with VirtualDub and use something like MKVmergeGUI to create an MKV file. In general there's no advantage to converting from a Divx container to MKV as AVI type containers are well supported.
    Quote Quote  
  3. mmg can open Divx (.AVI and .DIVX) files and remux into MKV. AviDemux can too. Though it's pointless.

A agree that MKV is better than MP4. But MP4 has more support. The PS3, for example, can play MP4 (with the right codecs) but not MKV.
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Jan 2012 at 21:51.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, technically, the most recent versions of DivX do create MKVs. But, yeah, I'll add my vote for not messing with the videos (including remuxing to a different container) unless you absolutely have to. I don't see support among computers, DVD players, TVs and media players dropping AVI as a supported container anytime soon, so remuxing really won't gain you much - you'll just have roughly the same size video with a different file extension.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hmmmm,
    That is much of a very good point from you all.
    Suppose i should stop fussing lol. I wasnt planning to change containers for any gains other then to keep all my containers so they are the same. Which is MKV
    Quote Quote