VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Oppo BDP-93 and it apparently plays MKV files. If I have one and want to put it onto a disc, I've been told I can just burn it as a data disc (Blu-Ray) and that the Oppo should recognize it. Is this correct? I'd hate to have to convert the file as that defeats the purpose of having an MKV to begin with.

What type of data disc would I burn it with. I'd be using Toast 11.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to first try simply burning it to a single or dual layer standard DVD data disk. You could use either Toast, Burn for OSX, or even the Finder or Disk Utility. Burn would be my personal choice for a data disk. If it has to be put on a BluRay, I'm hoping there is a data archive option in Toast where you can click the little dropdown to choose the media type as BluRay. What kind of BluRay burner do you use with your Mac out of curiousity?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The file would be bigger than what a dual layer could hold

I actually don't have a Blu-Ray burner for the mac yet, but I am looking into getting one soon here
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are no guarantees if you just burn a downloaded MKV file that any DVD player, BluRay player or streaming media player will play it. More and more MKV files are using "stripped headers" and I'm not aware of anything except a PC that can play those. "stripped headers" is kind of becoming like GMC is in Divx where for a while some dumbasses were incapable of recording in Divx without using 3 warp point GMC and as far as I know we still don't have anything but PCs that are able to handle it. There are a few other encode options in H.264 video under MKV that can be problematic, but I don't remember what those are off the top of my head. Those are less common than the stripped headers thing is.

You might want to keep a re-writable BluRay disc around for testing with.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    There are no guarantees if you just burn a downloaded MKV file that any DVD player, BluRay player or streaming media player will play it. More and more MKV files are using "stripped headers" and I'm not aware of anything except a PC that can play those. "stripped headers" is kind of becoming like GMC is in Divx where for a while some dumbasses were incapable of recording in Divx without using 3 warp point GMC and as far as I know we still don't have anything but PCs that are able to handle it. There are a few other encode options in H.264 video under MKV that can be problematic, but I don't remember what those are off the top of my head. Those are less common than the stripped headers thing is.

You might want to keep a re-writable BluRay disc around for testing with.
    I agree on keeping the rewritable around, but this disc likely won't have any playback restrictions on it as it will be homemade
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Test on a USB flash drive.

BD-RE's are indispensable for testing while you're getting your BD workflow down.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dLee View Post
    Test on a USB flash drive.

BD-RE's are indispensable for testing while you're getting your BD workflow down.
    Good suggestions, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jabbo5150 View Post
    I have an Oppo BDP-93 and it apparently plays MKV files. If I have one and want to put it onto a disc, I've been told I can just burn it as a data disc (Blu-Ray) and that the Oppo should recognize it. Is this correct? I'd hate to have to convert the file as that defeats the purpose of having an MKV to begin with.

What type of data disc would I burn it with. I'd be using Toast 11.
    It'll play the mkv off disc or usb, even over dlna, provided it supports the codecs inside.

FYI a good FAQ about the Oppo, http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-93-faq.html
    There's a section on media files if you scroll down a bit.

Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote