VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Its been a long time since I paid attention to this kind of thing, I vague remember some cautions, but not what...

I have a Sony gizmo called an IC Recorder that is basically a tiny stereo AGC voice recorder for mp3. It has an alternate mic input using a miniplug.

My question is whether it is safe to connect that input to the headphone output of the laptop; not just for a quick try but over longer time periods. I don't want to blow the input.

Anybody know for sure? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why would you want to do this?
    If you want to record sound or music just use Audacity with both it and your system set for 'stereo mix'.
    Export the recording as mp3.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Do you have any specs for the Sony; do they mention what's the max input level? Typical audio equipment has 1 Vpp on the line-in. It should be ok if you start low; open windows sound mixer and set the volume level to the lowest and record something short that plays loud, then open the MP3 in audacity and check that the top of the wave form is not a flat line (clipping). Increase the volume a bit and record the same thing again, repeat until the wave form starts to clip. That volume level is 100%, set the volume to 75% and you'll be alright.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mic level inputs are very low relative to headphone out. It may blow the device but most will accept a wide range of input levels up to line level (headphones are way above that). Not so sure about Sony which likes you to use their mics and also likes to charge high for service.

If you want to risk it, set output levels to minimum and increase slowly. Back off at any sign of distortion, rude noises, smoke or fire.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @transporterfan- it is a more advanced device, the ICD-UX71; manual is here http://www.docs.sony.com/release/ICDUX71_81_EN.pdf
    but it doesn't detail anything other than there is both AUDIO IN and MIC In

What I wanted to record is a streaming mp3 that is supposed to be available as a downloadable podcast from itunes (but isn't). My concern was artifacting when recording an mp3 output as an mp3

@nic- that was the method I was thinking of, but this recorder is sooo handy*, I got nervous about frying its input- the usually good Sony instructions are minimal- no levels given

@edDV- the headphone out on the laptop can barely drive a set of Sony unpowered Walkman speakers, but again no specs given.

*this is the unit that works with Dragon Voice recognition.
    Last edited by ahhaa; 15th Jan 2012 at 22:10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Use the Audio_in connector and start low.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Forget that, I just looked at the manual, there's no Audio_in connector on the recorder and the specs on the mic in are too low. If quality isn't that important, why don't you just put the recorder between the speakers or even headphones and record the podcast that way.
    Quote Quote