VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi! I try not to ask for help right away with intro's about myself right away, but I can't help it this time!!!

I downloaded a movie last night, it downloaded the entire file, or, it said it did through Download Accelator Plus. The file was just in numbers alone and the icon was all white. It wasn't like an icon that gave the movie icon or the image of the movie itself. I've seen the white icons before and then have named them with a movie file extension, i.e. (.mov, .avi, .mkv, etc.) and it always worked. I ended up renaming it by adding the extension .avi

My problem now is that I can't get it back to its original file version without the .avi extension! It has the .avi icon and no white icon whatsoever. I'm using Windows 7, and there is no way to use DOS unless someone can tell me how to get into it from this version of Windows. I've tried Restore Previous Versions, but that doesn't help either.

I've had this happen before and have just recycled the file, but this file is so big that I don't want to have to download it all over again if I don't have to!!!

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me! I always thought of myself as a person who can solve computer problems, but I guess not! LOL

Thanks so much!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    writersblck, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz

Have you unchecked 'Hide extensions for known filetypes' in 'Control panel>Folder options>View'? Otherwise you can't see the correct extension. I would also try dropping the file into MediaInfo to see what it really is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds to me like you don't really know what kind of file you have.

The way to correctly find that out is to view in MediaInfo (and post the text output here).

Then, you'll have a good idea if it actually is a media file and of what kind, and then you can apply the correct extension to the filename.

The inability of your system to correctly display/act on your file is a separate issue which points to the very good possibility that you don't have correct file associations. This could be fixed by installing a new media player, or by a reg fix or by an OS reinstallation.

Scott
    Quote Quote