VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help with this problem i seem to be experiencing when playing back either AVCHD, M2TS or Blu Ray formats on my Sony BDPS-370 and BDPS185B blu ray player

When i try and playback any of the above formats on my blu ray players the video bacomes really pixellated with lots of squares and different colours appear with what i can only describe as a smear effect. I have only tried burning AVCHD and Blu Ray to verbatim dvd+r's at x4 speed. The M2TS file i just played off a USB stick which suffers the safe effects. While the videos are very pixellated the motion seems smoother and is played at 720 50p which i'll touch on any minute.

Now if i playback .TS file on a USB stick the pixellation is gone completely, the picture looks great but the motion seems to judder when the camera pans. Looking at the display info on the blu ray player it now shows as 720 60p instead 50p which i cant work out why its changing when outputting a .TS file

The software im using is TsMuxeR and ImgBurn

The video source file is MKV file and heres the details of it using mediainfo

General
    Unique ID : 172067383557715331369120015138322563049 (0x8172F8FF3CD3BAECABEC6CF63A66BFE9)
    Complete name : C:\Users\Andy\Downloads\UCL 2009 FINAL\tsMuxer\Half.Time.2009.UCL.FINAL.Barcelona.v .Manchester.United.720p.mkv
    Format :
    Matroska
    Format version :
    Version 2
    File size :
    159 MiB
    Duration :
    3mn 28s
    Overall bit rate :
    6 382 Kbps
    Encoded date :
    UTC 2009-05-31 21:50:48
    Writing application :
    mkvmerge v2.7.0 ('Do It Again') built on Apr 15 2009 00:27:10
    Writing library :
    libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video

ID : 1
    Format :
    AVC
    Format/Info :
    Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile :
    High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC :
    Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames :
    7 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration :
    3mn 28s
    Bit rate :
    6 000 Kbps
    Width :
    1 280 pixels
    Height :
    720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio :
    16:9
    Frame rate :
    50.000 fps
    Color space :
    YUV
    Chroma subsampling :
    4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type :
    Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :
    Stream size :
    146 MiB (92%)
    Writing library :
    x264 core 67 r1145M d2e1e1c
    Encoding settings :
    cabac=1 / ref=7 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / bitrate=6000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00 Language : English Default : Yes Forced : No

Audio

ID : 2
    Format :
    AC-3
    Format/Info :
    Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension :
    CM (complete main)
    Codec ID :
    A_AC3
    Duration :
    3mn 28s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate :
    384 Kbps
    Channel(s) :
    6 channels
    Channel positions :
    Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate :
    48.0 KHz
    Bit depth :
    16 bits
    Compression mode :
    Lossy Delay relative to video : 48ms
    Stream size :
    9.55 MiB (6%)
    Default :
    Yes
    Forced :
    No
    Last edited by messi magician; 14th Jan 2012 at 15:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like you may be messing up the video doing the format changes. especially with the 50/60p issue.

can't they play the mkv itself?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I believe they can play mkv files but i'm looking to back up on to disc. I were told TsMuxeR is the best tool to use for simple processing without encoding to BD and AVCHD.

There has to be an explantion why TsMuxeR changes the fps from 50p to 60p when outputting to .TS, all the others output to 50p but then suffer pixellation
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did you try putting the mkv on dvd? should work if it can play them off usb stick or attached h.d.

tsmuxer would only change the fps if you told it to by putting a checkmark in the change fps box.

i'd recommend re-muxing the mkv though. it was made with an older version of mkvmerge. get the latest mkvtoolsnix, install and then run mkvmergegui. go to options and put a check mark in disable header removal compression. then click add, import your mkv. check marks in the video/audio/subs/etc that you want to keep in the mkv, give it a destination/name and click the merge button at the bottom. it will re-mux the file.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok thanks, Well the complete mkv file is 13gig so i would need to burn bd+r, ideally i would prefere it to be able to play on all blu ray players in blu ray format, i was just testing out a short clip to see if it works using dvd+r's in AVCHD

Regarding TsMuxeR ive not changed any settings regarding fps, it even shows 50fps in the meta file when selecting .TS on the output. Its only when you'r playing it back it shows 60p instead of 50p
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not a good sign. might be a poorly made mkv to start with.

for avchd/blu-ray you might consider running it through avchdcoder or multiavchd.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is the refs frames are too high(ReFrames : 7 frames ),for avchd playback on 720p they have to be 5 or lower with 3 being the ideal number,you can play the files as mkv with no artifacts showing.You can burn the mkv to dvd or blu-ray discs and watch them that way.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. This is what multiAVCHD pops up says ( ref frames 7 ) are too high. the thing is i'm unable to alter this in multiAVCHD, not only that but it keeps saying AVSINFO.EXE has stopped working

I then thought i'd try using uncropmkv to open the mkv to edit the ref frame but the file says ref frame 3 so now im confused to wtf is going on
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Uncrop is setting the r frame to 3 to encode with,its not showing the original r frame,just re-encode with uncropmkv,i rather just use the mkv and burn them to a blu-ray disc as data and watch with my sony.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeahhh I have managed to sort the problem out with a simple 1 pass (fast) re-encode using MultiAVCHD

Which is the best for encoding, MultiAVCHD or Ripbot ? With MultiAVCHD it throws a wobble if i try and use 2 pass but Ripbot will work
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by messi magician View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help with this problem i seem to be experiencing when playing back either AVCHD, M2TS or Blu Ray formats on my Sony BDPS-370 and BDPS185B blu ray player

When i try and playback any of the above formats on my blu ray players the video bacomes really pixellated with lots of squares and different colours appear with what i can only describe as a smear effect. I have only tried burning AVCHD and Blu Ray to verbatim dvd+r's at x4 speed. The M2TS file i just played off a USB stick which suffers the safe effects. While the videos are very pixellated the motion seems smoother and is played at 720 50p which i'll touch on any minute.

Now if i playback .TS file on a USB stick the pixellation is gone completely, the picture looks great but the motion seems to judder when the camera pans. Looking at the display info on the blu ray player it now shows as 720 60p instead 50p which i cant work out why its changing when outputting a .TS file
    I agree with the others on the MKV conversion but I'll address your first issues.

I have the "NTSC" version BDP-BX37/S370 which seems to be performing better than yours.

i seem to be experiencing when playing back either AVCHD, M2TS or Blu Ray formats on my Sony BDPS-370 and BDPS185B blu ray player

When i try and playback any of the above formats on my blu ray players the video bacomes really pixellated with lots of squares and different colours appear with what i can only describe as a smear effect. I have only tried burning AVCHD and Blu Ray to verbatim dvd+r's at x4 speed.
    I've had success playing AVCHD camcorder files up to 24 Mbps. Above that it chokes.

It will not play these files over DLNA without server down-conversion to ~8 Mbps. I'm still working that issue. DVDR AVCHD disc also works up to 24 Mbps by spinning the disc 3x in playback. Playback from BD-R media is rock solid.

I've had some issues playing ts/mts/m2ts files from USB flash but they play fine from DVDR or BD-R media even without authoring.

First, most USB2 sticks aren't fast enough to play AVCHD @17-24 Mbps. You need to buy the premium USB2 flash drives equivalent to "class4" up. When the flash can't keep up you get dropped frames and jerky playback.

I don't have to deal with the 50p-60p issue but will try some tests to see what happens. If you could post some 50i AVCHD test files it would help. On my BDP, all files are converted to 60p but I'd expect yours to support 50p displays. Maybe there is a setting.

On mine, 1280x720p60 files play fine from most containers. I've gotten 1920x1080p60 to play from disc but there is a bit rate limit in the low 20s.

PS: Another observation is MKV containers* are often rejected over DLNA or from USB flash but most will play from a burned disc. Mpg and Mp4 containers are usually accepted.

* these are MKV files encoded with Handbreak. I don't know about "downloaded" files.
    Last edited by edDV; 15th Jan 2012 at 18:27.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  12. I figured out why the video were automatically converting to 60p.. it was because i put the BDMV folder into another folder on the pen drive. If i put the BDMV folder direct on to the pen drive instead of putting it in to another folder it plays at 50p.. just trial and error
    Quote Quote