VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. dagfaune
    Search PM
    I have a nice HD USB DVB-T topbox with the name Jacobsons.

The saved files has the name *.ts ... but unfortunately not ordinary ts-files.

When i try playback on VLC player it fails (nothing happends and no information).
    The software TS-doctor tells that the PCR is missing.
    I have heard that the files are a kind of program stream-files.
    I don't know more - so long.

I hope it's possible to analyse/ "repair" and convert the file into ordinary ts, or somthing else.

Thanks for help!
    Dagfinn

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post the video and audio details. Use mediainfo, open ts, view->text and copy the info.
    Quote Quote  
  3. dagfaune
    Search PM
    Thanks!
    I will try on my own, but som help....
    May be this info will help.

Dagfinn

General
    Complete name : G:\REC_0.ts
    Format : MPEG-TS
    Format profile : No PAT/PMT
    File size : 15.8 MiB
    Duration : 28s 500ms
    Overall bit rate : 4 665 Kbps

Video
    ID : 521 (0x209)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
    Duration : 28s 500ms
    Bit rate : 4 321 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 50.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.094
    Stream size : 14.7 MiB (93%)
    Color primaries : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
    ID : 676 (0x2A4)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 3
    Mode : Dual mono
    Mode extension : Intensity Stereo
    Emphasis : CCITT
    Duration : 9s 899ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 112 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 32.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -2s 616ms
    Stream size : 135 KiB (1%)
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have some examples of .ts with no PAT/PMT and MPCHC or kmplayer/potplayer can play them . You might need lav splitter installed

If it doesn't work for you, there might be some other differences, then post a short sample video
    Quote Quote  
  5. dagfaune
    Search PM
    Media Player Classic works! But without subtitles. Me be I do something wrong..
    So next challenge: convert to a ordinary ts format or other format (with subtitles) that could play on a another soft/hardware player.

Dagfinn
    Quote Quote  
  6. What format are the subs in ? Do you know if there are subs ? Your mediainfo text doesn't identify any

Can you post a short sample ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. dagfaune
    Search PM
    Media Player Classic works! But without subtitles. Me be I do something wrong..
    So next challenge: convert to a ordinary ts format or other format (with subtitles) that could play on a another soft/hardware player.

Dagfinn
    Quote Quote  
  8. dagfaune
    Search PM
    A file with subtitle in norwegian (I hope the upload works). Om my topbox I can choose the sub's on/off.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The subs work with Media Player Classic Home Cinema,try that version instead.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. dagfaune
    Search PM
    No sub's an no audio when I play the file on Media Player Classic Home Cinema.
    But on the (hardware box) it's works.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is what ffmpeg/ffplay reports:
    Stream #0:0[0x240]: Audio: mp1, 0 channels, s16
    Stream #0:1[0x2a4]: Audio: aac_latm, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16
    Stream #0:2[0x2a5]: Audio: aac_latm, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16
    Stream #0:3[0x209]: Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1280x720 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 57.73 fps, 50 tbr, 90k tbn, 100 tbc
    Stream #0:4[0x25d]: Audio: mp2, 0 channels, s16

There are two audio streams with '0 channels'. If any media player defaulted to one of those, it would explain the silence.

I don't know how johns0 is getting subtitles - there don't appear to be any listed. Maybe one (or both) of the audio streams listed as having no channels actually contain subtitle data.

Another quirk of this file is the video isn't listed as the first stream by ffmpeg - it shows up as stream 0:3. But the hex value ID of the video stream (0x209) is the lowest of all of them. I don't know if that's a problem, but it's something I don't recall seeing before with .ts files.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The subs are dvb imbedded.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	10532  

I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  13. dagfaune
    Search PM
    Thanks a lot !

Is the conclusion (so long) that the formats of video and audio is ok, and the file is not encrypted, but the container is proprietary?
    It's seems impossible to find software for converting this proprietary file to something else .
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dagfaune View Post
    Is the conclusion (so long) that the formats of video and audio is ok, and the file is not encrypted, but the container is proprietary?
    The .ts files your DVB-T receiver creates are unusual but I don't know if they are non-standard/proprietary.

It's seems impossible to find software for converting this proprietary file to something else .
    I managed to convert the file last night with ffmpeg. I'll try to find the set of parameters I used.

ffmpeg is command line based - there are probably other programs that are easier to use and can open these .ts files. Maybe other forum members can make some suggestions.

I don't know how to retrieve the subs, but they might be falsely labelled as audio streams 0x240 and/or 0x25d.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    ffmpeg is command line based - there are probably other programs that are easier to use and can open these .ts files. Maybe other forum members can make some suggestions.
    If the commands are always the same it's easy to put a batch file in your SendTo folder. Then you can right click on a TS file and select Send To --> Dvbt2Whatever.BAT for an automated conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    If the commands are always the same it's easy to put a batch file in your SendTo folder. Then you can right click on a TS file and select Send To --> Dvbt2Whatever.BAT for an automated conversion.
    Would a command run this way fail silently? Could it be set up so ffmpeg would be run from within a pop-up command prompt so any errors would be visible?

I've just realised the video/audio streams will almost certainly be in a different order on different channels - so the -map options would need to be modified... A program similar to HandBrake, that can open .ts files and let the user choose the video/audio/sub streams to convert would be ideal.

These are the parameters used with ffmpeg version 0.9:
    ffmpeg -i REC_0.ts -map 0:3 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -ab 224k output.mp4
    EDIT: under Windows it may be necessary to state the full path to ffmpeg. Something like - C:\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe

(I don't know if 224kbit/s is sufficient for good quality 5.1 ac3)

The video stream won't be re-encoded, so it will be exactly the same quality as the original. After conversion, the first 4 seconds of video don't play properly - probably as the source video doesn't start with an I-frame.

I couldn't find a way to convert the audio tracks without re-encoding - so they've been converted to ac3, but the 5.1 channels have been preserved, as well as a separate 2 channel track.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    Would a command run this way fail silently? Could it be set up so ffmpeg would be run from within a pop-up command prompt so any errors would be visible?
    You can put a "pause" after the ffmpeg line -- the CLI window will remain open until the user presses Enter or closes the window. You could get creative and only pause on an error using "if errorlevel..." (assuming ffmpeg returns an error/success code).

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "%~d1%~p1%~n1%~x1" -map 0:3 -map 0:1 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -ab 224k "%~d1%~p1%~n1.mp4"
    if errorlevel 1 pause
    You can put that in a batch file in your Send To folder or drag/drop a file onto the BAT file. It will create a whatever.mp4 file from whatever.ts in the same folder as the ts file. You could even run multiple command lines, each with different stream numbers, until one worked properly. Of course, a purpose built front end would be better.

By the way, I got a big A/V sync error when I converted using your command. Oh wait -- it depends on which player I use. VLC had no sync error. MPCHC did.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Jan 2012 at 21:46.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can put a "pause" after the ffmpeg line -- the CLI window will remain open until the user presses Enter or closes the window. You could get creative and only pause on an error using "if errorlevel..." (assuming ffmpeg returns an error/success code).
    Thanks for the info jagabo - I didn't realise the Windows CLI had this sort of scripting capability.

By the way, I got a big A/V sync error when I converted using your command. Oh wait -- it depends on which player I use. VLC had no sync error. MPCHC did.
    This is probably related to original stream lacking a starting I-frame. Just guessing, but if ffmpeg only starts encoding from the next I-frame, then internally aligns both a/v streams together - the video would be ahead of the audio by 3-4 seconds. But ffmpeg should set the presentation time stamp (PTS) to compensate for this. Maybe MPCHC doesn't read this and a simply plays both a/v streams from the start. Or I might be generating a non-compliant .mp4 file...

I really wish there was a comprehensive media parser which would analyse a file and give a list of critical errors and also potential problems...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    I didn't realise the Windows CLI had this sort of scripting capability.
    It's only been around since DOS 1.0. LOL

I really wish there was a comprehensive media parser which would analyse a file and give a list of critical errors and also potential problems...
    Yes, that would be nice.
    Quote Quote