VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there any Dolby Pro Logic IIx encoders available for use on a Mac? I can encode Pro Logic I (aka Dolby Surround) with Compressor 4 and handbrake and I can encode Pro Logic II with Handbrake, but I'm looking for a Pro Logic IIx encoder so I can take my BluRay rips that have 7.1 surround and store them in standard .m4v containers in whatever format Pro Logic IIx (all I know is IIx can handle 7.1 matrixed channels and IIz can handle 9.1 matrixed channels!).
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting question! I've never heard of having 7.1 audio in a disk rip - that would be really nice. Are you willing to rip to mkv? I wonder if mkvtoolnix or something like that could do it. Then, I heard of a software you can use to change the container without reencoding...it escapes me right now. Also, there is this, but is is Windoze only and very expensive - http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/dvdit/hd/overview.html

Keep us posted on what you find!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can try MakeMKV - I believe you'll have to buy it for working with Blu-Ray, but it should generally repackage the video and audio into an MKV without re-encoding anything. I don't know if you'll have to have an actual Blu-Ray ripper and rip the BD first, or if MakeMKV will do it, though.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dizzie View Post
    Interesting question! I've never heard of having 7.1 audio in a disk rip - that would be really nice. Are you willing to rip to mkv? I wonder if mkvtoolnix or something like that could do it. Then, I heard of a software you can use to change the container without reencoding...it escapes me right now. Also, there is this, but is is Windoze only and very expensive - http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/dvdit/hd/overview.html

Keep us posted on what you find!!!
    Woah! Missed these replies somehow :O First off, I got curious about this after getting a BluRay rip of Transformers 3 and noticed the AAC file with it was 8channel AAC (Yes it was pirated as I have no use for multichannel AAC)! After learning a bit more I learned that their really isn't anything similar in size/compression to Dolby Digital AC-3 :/ Closest thing would be Dolby Digital Plus which I have yet to find a free encoder for. Closest thing I have is DTS Master Audio Suite which can encode any DTS format. The biggest issue I see with these new HD audio formats and computers is the lack of support for anything other than their cores (i.e.: the regular DTS in DTS-MA). It seams very plausible that a program like VLC should be able to take Dolby TrueHD, DTS Master Audio or even multichannel AAC and bitstream it down to a receiver as Linear PCM or even as just Dolby TrueHD (obviously AAC for the most part would have to be converted to LPCM since most receivers can't decode multichannel AAC) with some time...my only gripe with Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio is the lossless factor makes these files HUGE...like I have some rips that are 8gigs :O that's why 8 channel AAC to Dolby Pro Logic IIx seams attractive...
    Quote Quote