VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i want to convert a dvd to a format that will give me good all round performance playable on

a hd ready (not full hd) tv (using a ps3)
    a ipad2
    laptop (using vlc media player)

i'm not too format savvy and was thinking of selecting 'mp4' or 'apple' as the output file. within each option there are presets. what option/preset should i go for based on the above 3 devices?
    Quote Quote  
  2. or should i use XviD4PSP instead of freemake?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try ipad presets first and see how it works on the ps3.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Try ipad presets first and see how it works on the ps3.
    cheers. the film is old and the original format of the picture is 4:3. is the above still ok?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd recommend Handbrake. It's easier to use than most I've seen and does a really good job. The documentation is even good ... better than many commercial programs.

They have excellent Apple format support ... it's oriented towards Apple. The limited output formats really help the ease of use. So an iPad or laptop certainly isn't a problem.

As far as PS3 support goes, they don't have a PS3 preset but the 'Normal' preset should work. Haven't tried it with a PS3 but if it didn't work I'd be inclined to blame Sony.

I'd definitely take Handbrake over Freemake, which I've used but uninstalled. It's easy to use but I wasn't happy with the quality of the output. Same with iWisoft, which I only keep because it's good at taking AAC audio out of MP4's.

That's been my experience with this stuff ... trying to make a complex process with a lot of formats and a pitiful lack of standards look easy results in compromising the quality too much.

For example, if you want to avoid pixelation when the scene rapidly changes you want to use 2 pass mode, which the 'easy' ones like Freemake don't support very well. It'll take longer to encode that way, but I always use it anyway.

Actually, I'm using Avidemux more as a converter these days, but it's a lot more technical. I'd recommend Handbrake more for people who don't want to make that kind of commitment.

Which I can certainly relate to. I don't really want to be a DV geek. I'm more of a digital audio geek. The lack of standardization in video just turns me off too much, and there are too many DV geeks who think rattling off standards mean they think they understand the underlying process, which they don't. But tech geeks are like that I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for the reply. handbrake was my first choice but converting took an age so i unistalled that. my laptop isnt very new i'm afraid i've since installed vidcoder which seems much quicker than handbrake was for my machine and does seem to give better quality outputs than freemake did
    Quote Quote