VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Newegg has several internal Blu-ray burners for under $90. If I were to buy one of them, what would I need to connect it to my laptop? I have a USB 3.0 port plus a "USB 2.0 with E-SATA & Power Share" port. Do I need to buy an enclosure? Or is a cable like this one sufficient?

Assuming that I don't need an enclosure, is it still better to use one? Would it have to be a special "blu-ray enclosure" or is there no difference between it and a DVD drive enclosure?

I don't really want to spend the extra $40 for an internal drive if I don't have to, but all this other stuff's got me confused. All I really know is that when a drive enclosure has the word "blu-ray" in the title, the price jumps $20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The short answer - you need an enclosure
    The slightly longer answer - or a bespoke external blu-ray drive(not an internal one)
    The much longer answer:
    1. That cable only transfers data.
    2. The internal drive will inevitably require a seperate power connector usually a SATA type and you can not connect that to a laptop AFAIK.
    3. The extra cost for blu-ray. Possibly for more, or better fans.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Staples has a USB 2 Memorex Blu Ray WRITER for $99 online. I got one it's a Pioneer inside. It's about as big as a disk & comes with software. I used a $25 off $100 coupon to get it for $75.

I also have one in an enclosure, enclosure I bought from Amazon for $33.
    Quote Quote