VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have researched this a couple hours and have found others with similiar problems, but none that could figure them out. The FAQ to this forum states that a firewire must be used to transver dv, but my camera has a usb port has well. And the firewire didnt work with the camcorder anyway when I hooked it up to a mybook external drive.

My camera doesnt show up on windows photo gallery, picasa 3, paint, device manager, devices and printers, or anywhere else. I have an emachines EL 1352G I am trying to use with the USB outlet on the camera. The only output swith is from video to memory, I have it set on video (and it plays fine on the camera screen). I don't think there is anything on the screen menu I need to change in order to get windows 7 to recognize my camera, but the camera is probably ten years old is it possible windows 7 doesnt work with the camera? my computer is a 64 bit (don't know if all w7 is 64 bit or not)

thanks in advance for any help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try WinDV and use firewire.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    usb is for transferring still pictures and on some cams live low quality webcam type video, not for capturing miniDV tapes. can't be done just like you read.

there were a couple panasonic cams that could with special winXP drivers transfer tapes over usb but those were the only ones.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ot5707 View Post
    ...And the firewire didnt work with the camcorder anyway when I hooked it up to a mybook external drive.
    The Firewire port needs to be on the computer to be supported by Windows. You can't capture directly to a normal hard drive.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies. I guess technology is starting to slip away from me. I am trying to save these family videos and convert some of them to upload for family to youtube (in case it makes any difference). Simple video editing in other words.
    Here's my line of thinking so far, please correct me if I should be thinking something else.
    I researched my options based on the above and it looks like I need to get either a firewire card or something like this pinnacle movie box http://pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Fami...version+14.htm

which I found through this link (do you concur with the advice on this link?) https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/337752-URGENT!-Firewire-card-for-computer

Does the pinnacle movie box drowngrade the movie quality? What if I upgrade to a higher def cam corder in the future? This shows my video ignorance, but how much has video definition improved in cam corders since my above JVC? Especially in camcorders of similiar price (around 300$)?

I am not totally sure my PC will even take a firewire card. I've tried to research it online and on the emachines site, but I can't tell. there are two detachable expansion card cover things in the back of my computer towards the top.

Thanks again for everyones advice. It looks like I need the pinnacle box I linked to above.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like you just need a FireWire/1394A PCI card. Pull the side cover off your PC and check the available slots.

Name:  pci.jpg
Views: 2977
Size:  9.1 KB

The Pinnacle box should work OK, but a FireWire card would be a lot cheaper. WinDV is still is a good choice for camcorder DV>PC transfers with a FW card. Be aware that DV AVI will use about 13.5GB per hour of hard drive storage space, so have a fair amount of HDD space available.

When you transfer DV from a camcorder to a PC, the quality will be exactly the same as on the camcorder. What you do with it afterwards, conversion, etc., will determine the final quality.

Newer HD cameras use RAM or HDDs for video storage in a highly compacted format. Most of them use USB for transfers, or SD cards. Go by a video store and check out some HD camcorders if you want to see how they have improved.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks redwudz you get the idea on cost (obviously, I use an emachine). Before I pull my cover off, which of the four slots you posted a picture of will a 1394A card fit into so I know what to look for?

I just found this link on videohelp. It really just confused me more than anything. But the OP has the same emachine I do.
    (the emachie website has no documentation on the model believe it or not. )

It looks like the linked roswell card in the above thread will work on mine. Do you concur?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/341142-eMachines-DV-capture-possible?p=2123430#post2123430

I'd rather go to walmart and pick it up, but unles they have the exact model card, I am too confused about what the size I need.
    Last edited by ot5707; 13th Jan 2012 at 15:03.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Tracking down that Emachine PC model, (EL 1352G?) I am very surprised it doesn't appear to have a regular PCI slot. Looks to have only a PCI-e X16 and a PCI-e X1 slot. PCI-e X16 is usually for a video card. So looking for a X1 card on NewEgg, I found this one that should work. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166018 I would still open the case first and check that the photo I put up is similar to your motherboard.

Name:  elm.JPG
Views: 3168
Size:  21.6 KB

You could check with Walmart to see if they have a PCI-e X1 card, but I doubt it.
    With Windows 7, it should autoconfigure.

Make sure you also have the proper FW cable from the camera to the card. A four pin one, sometimes micro style, may be on the camera and most cards use a six pin. (The extra pins are for auxiliary power.)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK thanks for your help again, I will look into my computer tomorrow ad check back before I order the card
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here is a pic of my fw cord. Is it a 6 pin? I assume so, it has 3 copper colored things on each side as you can see.
    My mother board looks almost exactly like the pic you posted. Please confirm your above link is what I need to get from newegg. thanks for your help
    Image Attached Images    
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Firewire plugs and jacks

Name:  1394.gif
Views: 4130
Size:  20.6 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	5826975-Firewire-E.gif
Views:	6661
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	10537
    Last edited by edDV; 15th Jan 2012 at 03:56.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote