VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All
    Firstly i would like to say sorry if i've posted in the wrong section, i have been using VSO ConvertX for many years to convert Various file formats to DVD, but im just getting into Blu Ray now.

My first question is what program should i use if i have say a 3Gb avi file and i want to put menus etc on and burn it to Blu Ray?

Secondly what is the best program to use for Ripping a Blu Ray inc maybe taking parts out so it will fit on a 25GB disc?

Sorry for all the questions but i do hope some of you out there can point me in the right direction.

Pete
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    1. AVCHDCoder, MultiAVCHD, D2MP. BUt they aren't as easy as convertxtodvd.

2. Maybe BDRebuilder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What exactly is your goal for wanting to burn to BluRay? Are you looking to dump a bunch of movies on a single disc to save storage? Or do you have the impression that converting your AVI to BluRay will make it look better?

If you want to rip you either have to buy AnyDVD HD or DVDFab HD Decrypter. There's a free version of DVDFab that might meet your needs but do note that it trails the commercial release by 6 months so brand new releases by some studios may not rip until the free version gets updated enough.

It's not always easy to get it working the first time but the free BDRebuilder can shrink any rip down to single layer BluRay size and also can give you the movie only. It should meet your needs without having to edit anything.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick thats a great start, what about DdvFab? would you recommend??

Pete
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    What exactly is your goal for wanting to burn to BluRay? Are you looking to dump a bunch of movies on a single disc to save storage? Or do you have the impression that converting your AVI to BluRay will make it look better?

If you want to rip you either have to buy AnyDVD HD or DVDFab HD Decrypter. There's a free version of DVDFab that might meet your needs but do note that it trails the commercial release by 6 months so brand new releases by some studios may not rip until the free version gets updated enough.

It's not always easy to get it working the first time but the free BDRebuilder can shrink any rip down to single layer BluRay size and also can give you the movie only. It should meet your needs without having to edit anything.
    Hi Jman98

No, i know that i wont make the quailty better but just by putting it on to Blu Ray but if ive downloaded a 3GB MKV file then converting to to dvd will reduce the quality, so i was thinking it would be better to convert it to Blu Ray to keep the quality, would that make sense?

Pete
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pete7769 View Post
    Hi Jman98

No, i know that i wont make the quailty better but just by putting it on to Blu Ray but if ive downloaded a 3GB MKV file then converting to to dvd will reduce the quality, so i was thinking it would be better to convert it to Blu Ray to keep the quality, would that make sense?

Pete

Where can I download 3GB mkv files??
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was speaking hypotheticaly to try and get my point across
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pete7769 View Post

Hi Jman98

Pete
    Converting to ANYTHING will reduce the quality. Even BluRay. If you are very careful when converting you won't notice it at all but some loss will be there even if you can't perceive it. I don't convert anything to BluRay but I think multiAVCHD and maybe some other tools have the ability to do some fairly benign encoding to get your source file into BluRay specs (not always necessary, depending on the source). You might look into multiAVCHD. It can also produce menus but try a burn to a re-writable BD disc first as some players are fussier than others about what multiAVCHD produces and you may have to play with some settings to get something your player likes. Finally I should warn that we had a recent discussion and multiAVCHD seems to have been abandoned by its creator. If you have questions to ask about specific settings someone here might be able to help but we'll be pretty limited in what help we can give on it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    Thanks for all your help & advice, seems like this is going to be more complicated than i first thought! still at least you guys are here for help & advice.

Cheers Pete
    Quote Quote