VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. oldtimefiddler
    Search Comp PM
    Folks, I'm brand new here and looking for some help. This looks like a great site! I've learned a few things already.
    If you would please, my conundrum:

My edit screen in Premier Pro shows my video with interlacing artifacts, some shimmer and what could be dropped frames. I burned a DVD of this video, and it showed that same blurriness as the monitor. I have also imported this same file to iMovie, but it looks great there.

I'm importing an 12 minute .mts file from a flash card. The video was shot with a Sony AVCHD, model HDR-CX110. The record setting on the camera is AVC HD 17m (fh) at 1920x1080.

My Sequence settings are for AVCHD 1080p30 at 29.97fps, square pixels (1.0). My flash card's properties are 1920x1080 (1.0), 29.97fps.

I've used Premier Pro and this camera before without any problems. Suddenly something has changed.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mac OC X
    version: 10.6.8
    processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3
    memory: 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    startup: Macintosh HD
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post a screenshot from premiere pro that show the artifacts?

And check the full mts details with MediaInfo, open the mts and View->text and copy paste all details here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. oldtimefiddler
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply Baldrick.
    Here's the .mts info, and a screen shot of my Premier Pro project at 100%.
    Thank you for any direction you can give me.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 100% 2012-01-13 at 9.18.58 AM.png
Views:	186
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	10524  

media_info_.mts_.pdf  

Quote Quote  
  4. What mode did you shoot for the camera? 1080i60 or 1080p30 ?

There is a mismatch in the settings, either the interpretation of the file, or the sequence settings. There is a red render bar => this usually means mismatched settings

Premiere is probably blend deinterlacing
    Quote Quote  
  5. oldtimefiddler
    Search Comp PM
    Poisondeathray, I shot this in the HD FH mode on a Sony HDR-CX110. The only info it provides is: AVC HD 17M (FH) 1920x1080p.
    The sequence showing in the screenshot hadn't been edited or rendered yet, hence the red bar.
    I had previously edited and rendered this same .mts file and burned it to a DVD, and it looked the same as the screenshot that I sent, degraded and interlaced.
    This same .mts file looks stunning in iMovie though.
    My sequence settings match my file settings. I'm missing something somewhere though. I've edited with this program often, and always with great results.
    Quote Quote  
  6. oldtimefiddler
    Search Comp PM
    I have played with all the settings, and returned back to where I found them, still to no avail.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Right click the clip in the clip bin and check the file interpretation settings. Premiere probably "thinks" it's interlaced, then applies a blend deinterlace. Instead manually select progressive

There is definitely a mismatch somewhere, and that's most likely degrading the image

But if your clip is actually interlaced then you need to set it appropriately. All 4 things have to match: the clip, the clip interpretation, sequence settings and export settings

If the clip parameters matched the sequence settings, there would be no red bar

Also make sure you have the latest update, it fixed some issues with AVCHD
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mediainfo shows you shot 1920x1080 interlace at 29.97 top field first. Yet you set a Premiere progressive sequence. Why?

I burned a DVD of this video, and it showed that same blurriness as the monitor. I have also imported this same file to iMovie, but it looks great there.
    How did you encode the DVD? How did you view the DVD?

How did you import to iMovie? 960x540p or 1920x1080i?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Mediainfo shows you shot 1920x1080 interlace at 29.97 top field first. Yet you set a Premiere progressive sequence. Why?
    Most AVCHD cameras record 30p in 60i (encoded interlaced but with progressive content)

So to many programs, they will identify it as interlaced, when it's actually progressive.

So it's important to know how the camera was setup and interpret the footage accordingly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @baldrick - the screenshot he posted has a "%" in it's filename, it seems the vh server can't parse it, to display it full size. any way to have the server automatically correct a filename like that?

@ op - have pp interpret footage as progressive. right click on clip in assets, modify.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-14_152452.png
Views:	1321
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	10530
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  11. oldtimefiddler
    Search Comp PM
    @aedipuss, I tried changing the Field Order from it's current state of "Use Field Order from File" to the "Conform to:" and tried all three choices to no avail. I've gone through and tried changing every setting on PP and back again, but no luck. I'd figure it was my camera, except that this same file looks great in iMovie.
    Here are some screen shots of my Sequence and of the File properties, if this'll give any clue.
    I'll redo this project there, and get the resulting DVD to my client. I'll return to this problem later, if these screen shots are no help.
    Thanks for your time folks! You all pushed me farther into this program than I had been, and I'm more familiar with it now.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-01-21 at 1.04.33 AM.png
Views:	764
Size:	730.5 KB
ID:	10604  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-01-21 at 12.59.05 AM.png
Views:	760
Size:	733.8 KB
ID:	10605  

Quote Quote