VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My situation: I got a giant H264 MKV (several, actually) which happens to be several episodes of a series combined into a single file. They play one after the other, complete with credits. Why the file was authored this way, I'll never know. But I need to get them split into individual MKV files, and I obviously would like to do it losslessly.

The challenge here is that I need to be able to tell the splitter precisely where to cut off one chunk and begin the next. I would need to be able to tell the software a set of specific frames. I'd need a way of determining these frames (some sort of editor, or better yet a preview option in the splitter itself). I'd need to be able to avoid stepping on the toes of the video codec (by making sure I pick i-frames, or however one goes about it).

It would be an understatement to suggest that I wish these episodes hadn't been strung together in the same video file. But oh well.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can try mkvtoolnix (mkvmergegui), open mkv, under Global, Enable splitting...after timecodes and enter the times. See http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/doc/mkvmerge-gui.html#global_split
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds good. Any recommendations for a quick and dirty way of locating (via some sort of preview) and acquiring valid timecodes? In my experience, even if one can get a given editor to load a MKV video, you can't trust the timecode it shows you because of inherent subtle inaccuracies.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope,just load it into mkvmerge,set the time you want to split at,doesn't take too much time and it splits at the closest key frame.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mkvmerge will do the trick. so will SolveigMM AVI Trimmer + MKV.
    Quote Quote