VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm new here and immediately posing a question. Forgive my rudeness...

I use MP4tools to convert videos from .mkv tot .m4v (for viewing on my PS3). Due to the PS3's limitations, i also use MP4tools to split the .m4v's in chunks of 4 GB.

Four days ago, I installed Logitech Media Center on my iMac (for daughter's squeezebox), and I discovered it streams my videos to the PS3 in perfect HD without any trouble.

Now, I want to stick the chunks of video back together to one larger file (cause the 4 GB limit is not an issue anymore). Strangely enough, it doesn't work.

What I did (all with MP4tools): I converted an .mkv-file to .m4v. I passed thru the video and converted the audio from DTS to AC3 (5.1). Then I split the video in segments of 4 GB (the last one being smaller since the total size was 6 GB). Joining these 2 files gives a strange result: the video is as expected, but the audio track from the first file is missing, and the movie begins with the sound of the second file. When the audio track is finished, the movie plays on without sound till the end. Again, video looks 100%.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Cartman
    Last edited by Baldrick; 10th Jan 2012 at 17:01. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I changed the thread title. Just Splitting didn't say much.

No, it's not strange. Joining video is not as simple as it sounds. I guess you want macos tools?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry 'bout the title. Wanted to edit it afterwards but couldn't.

MacOS tools are preferred, but I run a Windows 7 as well in bootcamp.

Btw, tried this with multiple files. All the exact same behaviour.

Cartman
    Quote Quote