VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I rented Cowboys and Aliens from Netflix and when I tried to watch it I was surprised that the extended version was not on the disk. Apparently you have buy the retail disk to see the extended version. The extras don't work either. They are in the menu but selecting them goes to a screen telling you their only available on the retail disk just like the extended version.
    Last edited by wulf109; 5th Jan 2012 at 08:04.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah it shows that the bluray and dvd are the same length/duration.

I noticed the same thing on a few other bluray's from netflix so i ended up buying them from Family Video online.

They are a little older titles but they were only about $10.00 each and a couple netflix does not even have on bluray

They have "Every Which Way But Loose" but they don't have "Any Which Way You Can"

I never checked in the store to see if they had C&A extended though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just put Cowboys and Aliens at the top of my queue with Blockbuster Online. I wonder if their Blu-ray will be the same, i.e. theatrical version only. Now, if they'll condescend to send it to me (instead of something from the bottom of my queue), I'll find out and let you know.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    some movies you get from Blockbuster Online are the same like redbox/netflix. some dvds/blurays have special features and some do not.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Now, if they'll condescend to send it to me (instead of something from the bottom of my queue), I'll find out and let you know.
    It's funny that you said that.

I have been pissed off many times because Netflix seemed to ignore my Queue and just sent me something from the middle even though everything showed as being available

We think we will send you disc 3 of a series before disc 2

And it's funny how they will have every disc from a series of movies available except the least popular of the series.....
    It's almost like they purposely keep certain things unavailable to keep you a subscriber until you can get them.

And i am no conspiracy nut but i have been a member of netflix for years and years and there sure seems to be a pattern.....

I saw something the other night on tv where someone said they owed some money to Blockbuster and hated having to bring back their dvd's then someone else said "wouldn't it just be easier to just wait for blockbuster to go out of business ??"

I laughed so hard i was crying!!
    LMAO!!
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 4th Jan 2012 at 21:02.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wulf109 View Post
    I rented Cowboys and Aliens from Netflix and when I tried to watch it I was surprised that the extended version was not on the disk. Apparently you have buy the retail disk to see the extended version.
    This is happening more and more, but please put the blame where it belongs. It is NOT the fault of Netflix at all. Their deal with Hollywood allows many studios to do this. The studios are trying to, ahem, "encourage" people to buy the films instead of renting them by doing this.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I rented Cowboys and Aliens from Netflix and when I tried to watch it I was surprised that the extended version was not on the disk. Apparently you have buy the retail disk to see the extended version.
    This is happening more and more, but please put the blame where it belongs. It is NOT the fault of Netflix at all. Their deal with Hollywood allows many studios to do this. The studios are trying to, ahem, "encourage" people to buy the films instead of renting them by doing this.
    I thought they were not allowing certain rental places to rent new release dvd's/blurays for a month or more to "encourage" people into buying them instead of renting them ?

Seeing a they can't "rent" them for a month or more AFTER their official release and if you want to see them you have to BUY them....

Not extended/uncut/DC versions......

Or was it only "certain" places so they could get even more control or even more $$$$

It kind of reminds you of these guys....
    Name:  riaa.gif
Views: 1272
Size:  21.6 KB
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 4th Jan 2012 at 21:12.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    I saw something the other night on tv where someone said they owed some money to Blockbuster and hated having to bring back their dvd's then someone else said "wouldn't it just be easier to just wait for blockbuster to go out of business ??"
    I will shed no tears if they do.

A little OT, but I've had "The World's Fastest Indian" at the top of my queue for almost two years now; the status goes back and forth between "long wait" and "very long wait". Yeah. One day I shot them an email asking if they actually had it or had someone neglected to de-list it. Also, could I expect to get that movie in this lifetime?

I got the most asinine reply ever, I wish now I'd saved it. The gal gave me a long list of why the availability of some movies can be problematic. No mention of that specific movie, as in, is it actually available. Or, God forbid!, maybe someone could have pity and flag the movie for me to get it sometime soon. Nope.

I decided to let it drop, as I'd be wasting my time and make myself angry for nothing.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Their brick and mortar stores went out of business in my area a couple of years ago....
    Yet the Family Video within the same "1 mile" radius is still going strong!!!

But then again, Family Video has fair prices and does not try to make you rent something for 5 days at an inflated rate!!!
    And they have people that are not told to screw the consumer to make an extra buck!!

And still not a blockbuster B&M store is anywhere to be found within a 30 mile radius of where i live.... yet i still see these stupid things around!!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ripoff.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	10379

Grocery stores, gas stations, anywhere someone want's to get ripped off by a company that is desperately trying to hold on!!!
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Blockbuster was recently purchased by Dish Network (actually they were the winning bidder in the bankruptcy auction), with their rental (both online and storefront) and on-demand services incorporated into various Dish customer packages. Blockbuster brick and mortar stores may be reduced in the future, but the business entity itself has been revitalized by the infusion of Dish cash.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    Blockbuster brick and mortar stores may be reduced in the future,
    May be reduced in the future ??

LOL!!!

They were reduced a couple of years ago!!!
    A LOT!!!!!!!
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Their brick and mortar stores went out of business in my area a couple of years ago....
    Yet the Family Video within the same "1 mile" radius is still going strong!!!

But then again, Family Video has fair prices and does not try to make you rent something for 5 days at an inflated rate!!!
    And they have people that are not told to screw the consumer to make an extra buck!!

And still not a blockbuster B&M store is anywhere to be found within a 30 mile radius of where i live.... yet i still see these stupid things around!!!
    [Attachment 10379 - Click to enlarge]

Grocery stores, gas stations, anywhere someone want's to get ripped off by a company that is desperately trying to hold on!!!
    LOL!!!
    I guess you are having a senior moment, because this has come up before...

Those kiosk are owned and operated by NCR corporation. NCR licensed the name and logo from Blockbuster, but Blockbuster has no other connection with the kiosks. (I have a membership for the kiosks, and NCR sent me an email to that effect when Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy.)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    Blockbuster brick and mortar stores may be reduced in the future,
    May be reduced in the future ??

LOL!!!

They were reduced a couple of years ago!!!
    A LOT!!!!!!!
    LOL!!!

I am well aware that stores began closing a couple of years back. (I have posted in previous threads on that very subject.) Perhaps for the more literal minded, I should have written, "...brick and mortar stores may be reduced FURTHER in the future." Nevertheless, Dish has acquired Blockbuster's assets, and they are no longer, as you say, "desperately trying to hold on."

BTW: All the Blockbuster brick and mortar stores in my area have remained open.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Netflix seems to ship quite a few of the newer movies in modified versions with little or no extras. They must have someone making up special 'rental' versions.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Netflix seems to ship quite a few of the newer movies in modified versions with little or no extras. They must have someone making up special 'rental' versions.
    It makes you wonder about a business that creates a special version with few or no extras just for rentals, but that's exactly what they are doing.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    The movie studio decides what features will be included on the rental edition DVDs or Blu-Rays they sell to rental services, not the rental service.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I went to my local Blockbuster and rented the disk and it's the full version with the extended version. It's 46GB were the Netflix rental was 30GB.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I went to my local Blockbuster and rented the disk and it's the full version with the extended version. It's 46GB were the Netflix rental was 30GB.
    I'm not surprised. The movie studios plainly do not treat all rental services equally. They give preferential treatment to the smaller companies in other ways. Redbox and Netflix must wait 30 days following the DVD/Blu-Ray release of some films to offer them, while competing companies with a smaller market share have them immediately. If they do that, why couldn't they also give the two largest services a less complete rental version of the DVD/Blu-Ray disc to put them at an even greater disadvantage?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Ha, beat me to it then. I just got a notification that Blockbuster shipped the movie today.

Anyway, I suspected that might be the case. I don't recall ever getting a movie from them that didn't have all the features of the retail BD. And when we still had a few B&M Blockbusters around, no difference between those and the by-mail discs.

BTW, I still have one B&M store within 30 miles of me. Two years ago, there were at least 5 that I know of.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Don't get your hopes up. My BB rental of Cowboys and Aliens did have both versions on it, but the menu would only take you to the Theatrical version.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The movie studios plainly do not treat all rental services equally. They give preferential treatment to the smaller companies in other ways. Redbox and Netflix must wait 30 days following the DVD/Blu-Ray release of some films to offer them, while competing companies with a smaller market share have them immediately.
    I don't believe this is real accurate. I don't remember the whole story, but the studios went to all rental services. Blockbuster told them to take a hike. I don't remember but I believe the studios were giving some kind of incentive for rental services to wait the 28 days.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrswla View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The movie studios plainly do not treat all rental services equally. They give preferential treatment to the smaller companies in other ways. Redbox and Netflix must wait 30 days following the DVD/Blu-Ray release of some films to offer them, while competing companies with a smaller market share have them immediately.
    I don't believe this is real accurate. I don't remember the whole story, but the studios went to all rental services. Blockbuster told them to take a hike. I don't remember but I believe the studios were giving some kind of incentive for rental services to wait the 28 days.
    Look it up if you don't believe me. For a while several movie studios refused to sell discs directly to Redbox and Netflix. I don't know about Netflix, but Redbox had to resort to buying retail from various stores to supply the kiosks with new movies, and the studios pressured big retailers into not selling to them. The studios wanted concessions before they would sell directly to Netflix and Redbox again, the 28-30 day waiting period plus Redbox was supposed to stop selling used rental edition DVDs.

They did not try to force the same policy on Blockbuster, at least until recently. Doing a bit of research I guess that Warner Brothers is trying to force Blockbuster to wait 28 days as well, now that they are owned by Dish Network. To supply new movies, Blockbuster has been buying discs at retail too.
    Quote Quote  
  23. And note that Netflix doesn't rent DVD's anymore to new subscribers. So if you want the extra stuff on a DVD you will have to buy it.
    Quote Quote