VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am in the US and want to buy a Blu-Ray player that can be made multi-region (for DVDs), and which can play Divx from a USB stick.

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) Oppo - but you'll have to do the research to see what the current state is. Oppo itself does NOT ship region free players. However the last time I checked it was possible for either the purchaser or the reseller to add on a hardware chip that made it region free. You might want to look for a reseller who has already done the mod for you.
    2) Philips makes a BluRay player or two for the North American market (check what Best Buy sells against the DVD Players list in the column to the left and look for hacks in the DVD Players list) that have been reported to be able to become region free for DVD playback by entering a code. However, I've also read that those players do NOT convert DVD video. So while you can make it region free and play region 2 PAL DVDs, they only send PAL video out to the TV. If your TV cannot handle PAL video then this is not a good option.
    3) Insignia is rumored to have some hacks but I have no personal experience with those and cannot comment any more except to say that supposedly the hacks work.

The first 2 can play Divx via USB sticks. Not sure about Insignia. Oppo is expensive, unfortunately.
    Quote Quote