VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hoping for some help on this one. I've been dealing with dvd video for years, but I'm new to the whole BD experience.

I have an HD mkv file which will fit on one DVD. But in order to have better playback in my blu-ray player, I'm using tsmuxer to make an AVCHD disc out of it. I've done this a couple of times with no problem. But on this file the AVCHD is more than 300M bigger than the mkv it came from, and will no longer fit on a dvd5. Anyone know what could be happening? The growth is in the m2ts stream itself; all the other little files and folders added by the AVCHD format make no real difference. Why would tsmuxer be adding 300M to the stream? It's possible this may have been happening with other movies I converted; this is the first one I've done where the file size was so close to dvd5 max. Where can this extra 300M be coming from?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ignore my post; I've done some more reading and found that m2ts files are always larger than corresponding mkv files. Guess I'll just burn the mkv, which plays in the blu-ray player but has limited functionality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by maca View Post
    Ignore my post; I've done some more reading and found that m2ts files are always larger than corresponding mkv files. Guess I'll just burn the mkv, which plays in the blu-ray player but has limited functionality.
    Many BR players and TV sets struggle with mkv. They are more compatible with mp4. A spec Blu-Ray or AVCHD disc requires a m2ts packetized stream.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks. What I've finally done is converted the DTS audio to AC3, which saved me enough space to make an AVCHD. The original mkv with DTS will still play in my digital media player in another part of the house, so all's well.
    Quote Quote