VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own a Samsung BDP-1600 Blu-ray player connected to a Sony HTIS-100 amplified sound system, which is connected to my Samsung HDTV. I have successfully played more than 100 Blu-ray movies on this system. I recently played Midnight in Paris Blu-ray and found everything on the movie played fine except there was no voice (other sound was there). It's as if one or more audio tracks/layers were missing or not passing through the system. The audio voices on the preview movie played fine on th this disc (different audio format?). I played this movie on a friends Sony Blu-ray player and the voice was there on his system. I upgraded the firmware on my player, but this did not fix the problem. I switched my player and audio system on and off several times, changing the on-off order, but this did not help. What might be causing my probelm and what can I do about it? Why would this happen on this movie but not on every other movie I have played (it may have happened once in the past).
    Quote Quote  
  2. I am having thus same problem with Midnight in Paris. Did yiu find an answer?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like your blu-ray is outputting 5.1 audio and your amp is setup for normal stereo,try adjusting the amp and blu-ray for stereo and then 5.1 after.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That title has a 3.0 sound track. L, C, R. no surrounds, no LFE. It's possible the blu ray player is having problems doing a proper stereo mix down and the center channel (dialog) isn't making it into the mix.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose it's worth mentioning that this disc is Cinavia protected and if drstew12 is playing a copy, that could be why it's not playing correctly. I do not know this for a fact but I expect that a firmware updated Samsung BluRay player would very likely support Cinavia. However, it's my understanding that when Cinavia works you don't get any sound at all, but I just wanted to throw this out there for consideration.

In case someone asks, at present there is no solution for consumers to remove Cinavia protection during ripping.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was playing the original disc. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Has anyone found a solution? I only have a problem with "Midnight in Paris". Samsung UN40C6300 TV connected to Samsung BD-C5500. HDMI connecton. I even took the audio system out of the scenario. Still, I do not get main movie dialog through the TV speakers.

(Older Yamaha receiver getting optical audio input first manifested the problem.)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Solution for me: Go into Blu-ray player menu. Change audio output from PCM to bitstream.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spinhirne View Post
    Solution for me: Go into Blu-ray player menu. Change audio output from PCM to bitstream.
    Thanks for letting us know. This means "Send the sound out as is to my receiver and let it figure out what to do with it".
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Same issue for me on a Samsung BD-3600 player, could hear the cars, dishes and birds in the background, but no voices. Tried downloading latest Samsung firmware, which had done recently anyway, still nothing. Finally just pulled out my Sony Google TV device and it worked fine, but what a hassle. These encription companies should try their stuff on the major brands, pretty stupid to release a major release and not try it in Samsung boxes.
    Quote Quote