VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello All,

A colleague of mine and I are trying to build an app for a Wi-Fi IP camera. The camera is pretty standard. I have one that is h.264 and another that is MJPEG. We are building this app around the h.264 camera since we were not very impressed with the video stream from the MJPEG camera (it was slow and jumpy and lower overall quality). The h.264 camera performs perfectly using the IE browser with ActiveX, but getting it to look as good on our Droid or iPhone is another story. On the phones it behaves as bad as the MJPEG camera did.

Since the h.264 camera’s performance in IE is perfect, I know the camera is fine and has the ability to send a high quality stream. Is it the mobile phone side that is not able to decode the stream properly? Maybe the phone is not strong enough (I have a Droid X)? Maybe somebody found a special player or camera settings that I am missing???

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marko
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hello All and thanks in advance for your help.

I am tring to do somethign that seems to be very simple, but turns out it isn't. I have a standard WiFi h.264 camera that I use as a baby monitor which, in technical terms, means I need it to be as realtime as possible. My initial goal was to encode the stream from the camera as such that the native iPhone hardware decoder can be used so that the result is a direct, clean, sharp, and realtime video from my camera onto my iPhone.

I am finidng that the iPhone will not take anything from the camera's stream unless I use HLS as a middleman server. I am desperatly trying to avoid introducing a server inbetween the camera and the iphone, since it means more work, more bandwidth, and more latency on the video.

So my question is: What do I need to do in order to get a direct h.264 stream from my WiFi camera to show up on my iPhone using its hardware decoding?

Again, your help means a lot since I have been beating myself up on this for over 6 months now.

Thanks,
    Marko
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know but you could use an iPod Touch as the camera.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please post the FULL details from the video stream, resolution, bitrate, etc.

edit: I merged your two similar threads instead.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 30th Dec 2011 at 11:53.
    Quote Quote  
  5. This would be an example:

Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\Josef Kohout\My Documents\Downloads\cam1_v2.mp4
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    File size : 1.67 MiB

Video
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Baseline@L3.0
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=18
    Width : 352 pixels
    Height : 288 pixels