VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I should have known that it would be harder to set up with Windows 7, then it was with any other Windows since every time shit gets harder and harder.

Trying to cap from my Motorola box using IEEE 1394 firewire. On XP the process was instant, Vista a little harder, and now I've been fiddling around for around 2 hours with 0 progress. I installed the drivers (I think) from: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=403695 . I tried just browsing for them, but Windows just said there were no drivers there. Then I double clicked the MSI file and it went through an installation process which seemed to work/install. But when I restarted my computer I instantly got a message about how it failed to install.

VLC nor Cap DVHS is able to recognize that the cable box is there. Was really hoping to get this up and running by the Knicks game tonight (at around 10:30 PM) so if anyone can help me out I'd be super grateful.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    WHICH Win 7 do you have? 32 bit or 64 bit? The drivers do NOT work under Win 7 64 bit. There is no fix. It requires new 64 bit drivers. The author has abandoned the project and seems to have no interest in creating 64 bit drivers. Some desperate people have offered to pay someone to write 64 bit drivers but all attempts have yet to bear fruit and I believe are no longer being worked on. There also was an attempt or two to get someone to write the drivers for free, but that also has led to nothing.

If you have Win 7 32 bit, some sources I found insist that the drivers do still work. I'm going to guess based on your problems that you have 64 bit Win 7 and if so, you are out of luck. By the way, you cannot install these into a 32 bit VM under Win 7 64 bit. You certainly can create a 32 bit VM (Win 7 Ultimate even lets you get one for free) but because Apple charges for IEEE 1394 drivers, nobody who writes a VM has been willing to license the drivers for a VM so the software won't work in a VM.

If you have access to an Intel Mac, it is possible to connect your cable box to it and capture the video that way. I did that some months ago and it works fine, although the capturing program is primitive compared to CAPDVHS. If I remember correctly I did not have to install any drivers on my iMac, just plug it in and install whatever the name of that capturing program is (iTimer maybe?).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL. So I'm basically screwed? Awesome. I have 64 bit.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SpydaMan View Post
    LOL. So I'm basically screwed? Awesome. I have 64 bit.
    Until someone cares enough to write 64 bit drivers there's no way to make it work under 64 bit Windows. People have been begging for this for over 2 years now without any success.

The Mac program that I use to record with is called FireRecord, not iTimer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can either:

1) Format your drive and install Windows 7 32bit (make sure to back everything up)

2) Set up a dual boot system and install Windows XP 32bit with your Windows 7 64bit.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vidd View Post
    You can either:

1) Format your drive and install Windows 7 32bit (make sure to back everything up)

2) Set up a dual boot system and install Windows XP 32bit with your Windows 7 64bit.
    I'd like to take option two. Does it have to be xp 32 bit? Can I stay with Windows 7 32 bit as my secondary drive? Bonus question, how would one go about doing option 2?

Thanks guys, there's still a chance I'll be able to do this by 10:30.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Search Google for guides to dual boot Windows 7. You should be able to dual boot Windows 7 32bit and 64bit. There is risk involved, so before you start, backup EVERYTHING. If you do something wrong or something out of order you could mess your whole system up.

Here is one guide:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

It would be easier if you had an old computer laying around that you could install a 32 bit OS and dedicate it to firewire capture.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vidd View Post
    Search Google for guides to dual boot Windows 7. You should be able to dual boot Windows 7 32bit and 64bit. There is risk involved, so before you start, backup EVERYTHING. If you do something wrong or something out of order you could mess your whole system up.

Here is one guide:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

It would be easier if you had an old computer laying around that you could install a 32 bit OS and dedicate it to firewire capture.
    Lol. Yes it would be. Luckily I just started on this computer so there's not really much to back up, truthfully. Thanks for the, link I think I can translate it enough in my head to work for two windows 7s.

One last question. Do you think it wise to keep the space quite small for the 32 bit? Since I'm only using it for capturing, I would like to have the video files as the result of the capping be stored on 64 bit partition, that way I can edit it and such much faster. Or when I'm capping on 32 bit will I have to keep the files contained to that partition, and thus it would be wiser to allocate a larger portion for that?
    Last edited by SpydaMan; 29th Dec 2011 at 19:58.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, well being the impatient person I am I installed 32 bit Windows 7 to a new partition I made. Worked well and I can dual boot which is pretty damn cool. Took a bit to finally get the drivers to install but I'm pretty sure they have, as Cap DVHS is able to pick up the Motorola tuner.

Tried it at first and it made my TV (which I am using instead of a monitor until the cord I need ships to me from amazon), and when I finally got it back it seemed to have actally done nothing at all but make my TV retarded.

Tried again, on VLC this time because I was afraid, nothing happened.

Switched ports on the back of the cable box, still nothing on VLC, CapDVHS says an error involving sample grabber. Sounds wrong so I switch ports back. Now I'm getting error 800somethingsomethingAA. Googled it and it said I should install service pack 2 for XP....

Why's everything so complicated?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, well being the impatient person I am I installed 32 bit Windows 7 to a new partition I made. Worked well and I can dual boot which is pretty damn cool. Took a bit to finally get the drivers to install but I'm pretty sure they have, as Cap DVHS is able to pick up the Motorola tuner.

Tried it at first and it made my TV (which I am using instead of a monitor until the cord I need ships to me from amazon), and when I finally got it back it seemed to have actally done nothing at all but make my TV retarded.

Switched ports on the back of the cable box, still nothing on VLC, CapDVHS says an error involving sample grabber. Sounds wrong so I switch ports back. Now I'm getting error 800somethingsomethingAA. Googled it and it said I should install service pack 2 for XP....

VLC won't work. Use CapDVHS to receive MPeg2-TS streams.

Next step is to figure out which channels pass MPeg2-TS. Some will be native SD, others will be HD 720p or 1080i. This will vary locally.

If you haven't got it yet, they don't want it to be easy.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post

Next step is to figure out which channels pass MPeg2-TS. Some will be native SD, others will be HD 720p or 1080i. This will vary locally.

Well this isn't my first rodeo. I've capped with VLC before, but more importantly I use VLC to stream it because I know if I'm watching it then it will be able to record. All my channels of interest are not blocked from recording (do the trick where you turn off your box and press enter then look at channel status for CCI and look for 0x00 means unlocked). It's definitely a computer problem, not cable box problem. Just lack the know how to know what or why.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Well this isn't my first rodeo. I've capped with VLC before, but more importantly I use VLC to stream it because I know if I'm watching it then it will be able to record. All my channels of interest are not blocked from recording (do the trick where you turn off your box and press enter then look at channel status for CCI and look for 0x00 means unlocked). It's definitely a computer problem, not cable box problem. Just lack the know how to know what or why.
    VLC should play any downloaded MPeg2-TS files. Editing is a different matter.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right. And, it's not able to play or download files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All my channels of interest are not blocked from recording (do the trick where you turn off your box and press enter then look at channel status for CCI and look for 0x00 means unlocked). It's definitely a computer problem, not cable box problem. Just lack the know how to know what or why.
    Yes, that is a way to test the cable box for IEEE-1394 port status for each channel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCI-CIT.jpg
Views:	2020
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	10301

Name:  IEEE-1394p.jpg
Views: 3253
Size:  27.8 KB

I have the meistb drivers working in 32bit versions of XP SP3, Vista and Win7. There have been cases where a particular machine wouldn't take the drivers but a fresh reinstall of Windows corrected the problem.
    Last edited by edDV; 30th Dec 2011 at 08:08.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All my channels of interest are not blocked from recording (do the trick where you turn off your box and press enter then look at channel status for CCI and look for 0x00 means unlocked). It's definitely a computer problem, not cable box problem. Just lack the know how to know what or why.
    Yes, that is a way to test the cable box for IEEE-1394 port status for each channel.

[Attachment 10301 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 10304 - Click to enlarge]

I have the meistb drivers working in 32bit versions of XP SP3, Vista and Win7. There have been cases where a particular machine wouldn't take the drivers but a fresh reinstall of Windows corrected the problem.
    Any suggestions as to why mine isn't working then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

[Attachment 10301 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 10304 - Click to enlarge]

Any suggestions as to why mine isn't working then?
    No.

There is one other option for you. Linux + MythTV

Tends to be a geeky path but MythTV has Firewire as a tuner card option. It can also control the Moto 620x boxes via Firewire if properly set up. I don't have this installed at the moment so can't help with the step by step, but you can tap the MythTV user forums. This wiki article gives some clues.
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/FireWire#Adding_To_MythTV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may find some clues why your PC doesn't take the drivers in that wiki. Look at the specific 1394 card issues.

Then at the end there are anecdotal comments on user experience with various cable box models. Since we as users are limited to the local cable box offerings, experience varies.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Firewire_Cable_Box_Compatibility

Which Motorola box do you have?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Motorola DCT-3416 on Comcast. Thanks for the link I'll check that out. It's a DVR box. I was watching live TV when I tried it, but I was also recording on my DVR. That might be the issue. Hmmm...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Others can comment on DVR specific issues.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just found out that I can run Windows XP mode in Windows 7. I'll probably try XP before I try linux. But I feel like I read somewhere you can't cap stuff in a virtual operating system. True or false?

I tried last night to install XP on my system and almost ruined everything, but I will retry again if I can't run cap in the virtual XP mode. I don't know why but I have a feeling everything will just work swimmingly if I can get XP going, because once upon a time it did work instantly when I had XP.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just found out that I can run Windows XP mode in Windows 7. I'll probably try XP before I try linux. But I feel like I read somewhere you can't cap stuff in a virtual operating system. True or false?
    ALREADY been down that path myself. It won't work. Here's why. NONE of the virtual machine makers are willing to pay Apple's license fee for firewire, so NONE of them support it. NONE. Even VMware won't do it and they support Apple as a platform (VMware Fusion). So while you certainly can run 32 bit XP under 64 bit Windows 7, there's no way to get the firewire drivers to work in a VM.
    Quote Quote