VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This may sound like a dumb question, but is there a way that I can simply change the frame-rate of a DVD without re-encoding the video? I want to convert a PAL 25fps dvd to 23.976 fps. I know I'll have to re-encode the audio, but if there is a way I can simply change the playback frame rate of the mpeg2 video without re-encoding, that would be terrific. I don't need to change the resolution or anything like that (even though I know that, to make a proper NTSC dvd, I would need to change the resolution as well, but I'm not trying to do that.)

I'm doing this because the movie, in question, has a native frame rate of 23.976 or 24fps, but has been sped up to 25fps for the PAL dvd release. There is no NTSC release. It bugs me when I watch movies that have been sped up, so I want to change it. I know I could easily watch it on my PC and slow it down, but I want to be able to pop it in the DVD player and watch it that way. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    IF you were going to watch this strictly on a PC, and

IF it was silent,

you could possibly do this with something like ReStream or DVDPatcher, etc.

If your title has sound, you'd HAVE to time stretch the audio (and re-encode) to be able to play it synchronously with the video.

If your title is to be played on a TV, you'd most likely HAVE to reencode both the audio and the video.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. I know I'll have to re-encode the audio, as stated in my original post.

I tried ReStream, but every time I tried, it re-encoded the video quite miserably. Looked terrible. I'll give DVDPatcher a try.
    Quote Quote  
  4. No, because you have to resize to 720x480 for NTSC = re-encode
    Quote Quote  
  5. right, but what if I were to be foolish and not care about re-sizing it? Is there something that would let me do that? Again, I'm aware that NTSC standard requires 720x480, but i'm not going for 100% NTSC standard, I just want to change the frame-rate.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No , because it doesn't comply with DVD-video standard (won't play on standalone unit)

How were you planning on playing the video ?

If you were playing ONLY on a PC, as Scott mentioned above, then you can use one of the tools mentioned above, or even mkvtoolnix (put into mkv container and use that to change the framerate)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    No , because it doesn't comply with DVD-video standard (won't play on standalone unit)
    Some players might still play it though.

You could use DVDPatcher to set the frame rate to 23.976 then DgPulldown to apply 3:2 pulldown flags. Then adjust the audio length and author a new DVD (if you can find one that will let you author with the wrong frame size). Or maybe your DVD player will play bare MPG files on a data disc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ArtOfLosingMFZB View Post
    This may sound like a dumb question, but is there a way that I can simply change the frame-rate of a DVD without re-encoding the video? I want to convert a PAL 25fps dvd to 23.976 fps.
    I read nothing about wanting to convert this to NTSC. If you just want a PAL DVD that plays at the slower 23.976fps (no reencoding):

1. Demux (PGCDemux)
    2. Run the M2V through DGPulldown using the custom setting and 23.976->25.000 (only for progressive sources)
    3. Slow the audio (I use a combination of BeSweet, (sometimes) Audacity, and Soft Encode)
    4. Reauthor (Muxman)
    5. If necessary: replace the original DVD with the reauthored one in VobBlanker to get back the original menus and anything else you're keeping.

Your chapter points will also have to be adjusted for the now longer-playing and greater frame-count video. If you have chapters (the celltimes.txt file from PGCDemux), each has to be adjusted by a factor of 25/23.976=1.04271.

Originally Posted by ArtOfLosingMFZB View Post
    I tried ReStream, but every time I tried, it re-encoded the video quite miserably. Looked terrible. I'll give DVDPatcher a try.
    Since Restream doesn't encode, what you saw was something else.
    Last edited by manono; 28th Dec 2011 at 20:04.
    Quote Quote