VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows XP Home SP 3 - 500GB Western Digital
    Windows 7 Premium - 1 TB Seagate

Been using dual boot for almost a year by pressing F9 to select the boot device. My problem began when XP caught the 'fakerean' malware. When removed, I got blue screen whenever I choose XP to boot. Could not boot even in Safe mode. Windows 7 was okay.

Then I disconnected the Windows 7 hard drive. For some reasons, XP was able to run in Safe Mode and was able to do a System Restore. Then I ran 'chkdsk /f' and 'malwarebytes' and everything looked fine again at least with only one drive

When I re-connected the Windows 7 hardrive(Seagate), I can still press F9 and boot with Windows 7 and see both drives and all their partitions. BUT if if I choose Western Digital and boot with XP, I don't see the Seagate hard drive. Other than that, XP looks okay again. Many of the programs I am using are installed in XP and just saving the data in Seagate.

Any idea of a tweak? Before the problem, if I don't press F9, it will boot to Windows 7 by default. Now it's defaulting to XP. I could not find an answer on google. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Logon to XP and use the command diskmgmt.msc.
    It should reveal to you info about all the drives in your box.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did that. Like in My Computer and Explorer, it only shows the 2 partitions of Western Digital Drive (C & D) and 2 DVD drives. Like I said, when booting up, I can choose the Seagate and boot to Win 7 and see both drives and all partitions. Perhaps something in the XP serial controller was messed up.

Thanks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Disk.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	10295
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the missing device visible in XP's device manager (under "Disk Drives") ?
    If not, I suspect something in the BIOS or possibly a cable is bad.

To enter the device manager, enter the command devmgmt.msc
    Quote Quote