VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. How can I convert 20/24/25/30p videos to 50/60p for smoother playback?
    I tried Premiere Pro CS5.5 but couldn't do it.
    I want something like Splash Pro Motion2 that makes videos play smoothly =(
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by P.J View Post
    How can I convert 20/24/25/30p videos to 50/60p for smoother playback?
    What was the camera? What format source video?

Post a short sample with motion.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Each camera like Canon 500D/550D/600D...
    Or HD videos from Youtube or ripped mkv videos...

Here's the sample: http://mirillis.com/en/products/picture2.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That sample wasn't smooth either, just "smooth-er", still juddering tho.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How can I convert 20/24/25/30p videos to 50/60p for smoother playback?
    Hi P.J,

Its very easy. look here: http://www.spirton.com/convert-videos-to-60fps/

Awesome smoother playback:

Original: http://www.spirton.com/uploads/InterFrame/20110618-Sample-Original.mkv
    Converted: http://www.spirton.com/uploads/InterFrame/20110618-Sample-InterFrame.mkv

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I saw deeper colors, from frame doubling, but smoother? I can understand AviSynth / Lagarith interpolating 60i to 60p, and that works well, but that's because there's a difference between frames to work with.

30p has NO difference between frames, so frame doubling is the only thing you can do, and that does produce deeper color, but I don't see how it can be smoother.

Educate me then! Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I saw deeper colors, from frame doubling, but smoother? I can understand AviSynth / Lagarith interpolating 60i to 60p, and that works well, but that's because there's a difference between frames to work with.
    60i to 60p is same thing as bob deinterlacing (double rate deinterlacing) - essentially each field (which represents a unique moment in time) becomes a frame .The temporal information is there to begin with

30p has NO difference between frames, so frame doubling is the only thing you can do, and that does produce deeper color, but I don't see how it can be smoother.

Educate me then! Thanks
    Frame doubling isn't the "only" other thing, you can insert blended frames as well

But this refers to a 3rd method: motion interpolation, or optical flow. The "inbetween" frames are newly synthesized from looking at motion vectors from the adjacent frames . It's not the same thing as a dumb blend or duplicate
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So are the frames in the example interpolated? If so, I just became a big fan of AviSynth. And Cauptain TOO!!!!

So can that be slomoed as in undercranked as 30p?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, interpolated. Interframe is just a function based on mvtools2 , which does the actual heavy lifting

avisynth is free way to do this. Other plugins and software can get very expensive e.g. nuke, shake, after effects (timewarp, pixel motion); plugins would be twixtor (versions for final cut, premiere, vegas, avid mc...)

But there are lots of potential problems with interpolation, like edge morphing artifacts. It really depends on the type of content. Some interpolate well, others are horrible. The "pro" software have more advanced features like edge mattes and track guides to improve the interpolation

I posted some other comparisons and explanations before; Here is one (it's a slo mo example, but the concept is the same between the 3 methods the "inbetween" frames are either generated by 1) duplicates 2) blends or 3) motion interpolated ; if you played it at faster speed, the interpolated version will still look the "smoothest"), you can download the comparison in post #3

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/340910-looking-for-s-w-that-can-recreate-an-MP4-fil...peed?p=2121826

So can that be slomoed as in undercranked as 30p?
    Yes , the concept is the same. Eitherway you are generating "in between" frames. So you can either use that for smoother slo mo, or for smoother normal speed playback

The idea is as if you shot an actual higher FPS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice comparison video poison.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks. I tried Pixel Motion and TimeWarp in AE but looks strange while changing scenes =(
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Cool, maybe there is a "free lunch". I know there's no real perpetual motion machine, but a reasonable facsimile can do, I'm not a Hollywood pro.

Thanks everybody!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by P.J View Post
    Thanks. I tried Pixel Motion and TimeWarp in AE but looks strange while changing scenes =(
    You're not supposed to use it on multiple scenes

But scripts like Interframe have scene change detection built in
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Cool, maybe there is a "free lunch". I know there's no real perpetual motion machine, but a reasonable facsimile can do, I'm not a Hollywood pro.
    Ahhh but a Hollywod Pro wouldn't use this. They would shoot a higher FPS in the first place if it was meant for a VFX shot (e.g. Red Epic). This way there are no side effects, no edge morphing, every frame is a real frame
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Ahhh but a Hollywod Pro wouldn't use this. They would shoot a higher FPS in the first place if it was meant for a VFX shot (e.g. Red Epic). This way there are no side effects, no edge morphing, every frame is a real frame
    Yeah, but it looked pretty good in that GoPro video, and that's good enough for me. Hahaha, don't bug me, I'm installing AviSynth......
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Yeah, but it looked pretty good in that GoPro video, and that's good enough for me. Hahaha, don't bug me, I'm installing AviSynth......
    Beware that GoPro video was a cherrypicked example. Not all types of content will interpolate that well

For example if you tried interframe on the the other thread's OP's motorbike video, it will not look very good
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Yeah, here´s come a a new avisynth user!!!

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post

Yeah, here´s come a a new avisynth user!!!

Claudio
    MUHHAAAAA come to the DARK SIDE !!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So the GoPro was picked out for minimal motion in that scene, and let the viewer assume what they will, right? I get it. That's all part of the craft, yeah? Over here on the DARK SIDE, Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Thanks. I tried Pixel Motion and TimeWarp in AE but looks strange while changing scenes =(
    You're not supposed to use it on multiple scenes
    Quote Quote  
  21. Oh, just tried Twixtor and worked great =)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, I need a little help with Avisynth.

I got it installed OK per directions, but it's trying to de-interlace my input video which is 30p, and ends up crashing, so I took that line out of the script and it gets past the video preview OK, but then it crashes again.

So I'm thinking this script only works on interlaced video?

Thanks

"All F'd Up On The Dark Side"
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Hey, I need a little help with Avisynth.

I got it installed OK per directions, but it's trying to de-interlace my input video which is 30p, and ends up crashing, so I took that line out of the script and it gets past the video preview OK, but then it crashes again.

So I'm thinking this script only works on interlaced video?

Thanks

"All F'd Up On The Dark Side"
    Whenever you have avisynth problems, people are going to ask you to:

1) Post your script (verbatim)
    2) Post your error message (verbatim)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Too late, I got traumatized, and dumped it. thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Too late, I got traumatized, and dumped it. thanks anyway.

ahhh poor wittle budwzr hurt his brain...

Don't give in so easily (I did too for the first few years). It's just a tiny learning curve

avisynth is a free goldmine for various video processing and manipulation

It can do things that no other program (even $10,000 ones) can do

Embrace the dark side
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, hahaha, but the script provided at the website has deinterlace involved and I don't have anything interlaced anymore. And Avisynth comes in 64 and 32 bit installs, which is fine, but that 60fps script seems to only work in 32 bit mode.

OK, let me fool around a little more. Thanks for the encouragement, I really WANT to get a handle on it because I know it's good. Same as Blender, but my brain is so stuffed right now.

But I wanna be on the darkside too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, hahaha, but the script provided at the website has deinterlace involved and I don't have anything interlaced anymore. And Avisynth comes in 64 and 32 bit installs, which is fine, but that 60fps script seems to only work in 32 bit mode.

OK, let me fool around a little more. Thanks for the encouragement, I really WANT to get a handle on it because I know it's good. Same as Blender, but my brain is so stuffed right now.

But I wanna be on the darkside too.

Hello budwzr,

This is normal. I always ask for help on videohelp with avisynth scripts (Hello Jagabo, Poison)

My files are 30fps progressive (Saturn emulator captures). My script to this is (Windows 7 64bits):

AVISource("VIDEO.avi", audio=true).AssumeFPS(30.000)
    Setmemorymax(1024)
    SetMTMode(2,7)
    PluginPath = "C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\"
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\mvtools2.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\RemoveGrainSSE3.dll")
    Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\InterFrame.avsi")
    ConvertToYV12()

InterFrame(Preset="Medium",FlowPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\")
    Work flawless. try it.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  28. Yeah, blender is fantastic too. They added motion trackers a few months back so you can do real 3d matchmoving now. Avisynth + Blender are freeware goldmines, with large user base and forums that can help out

Avisynth is a mess in terms of documentation & organization. Sometimes there are multiple versions of filters with the same name, but only a specific version of the .dll works !!! WTF.... But if you take the time to struggle through it , you will be glad you did. I avoided it like you for years, now I'm kicking myself for doing so. Trust me, even learning the basics is well worth the time investment
    Quote Quote  
  29. If you have win7 64 bit, never mind, install everything 32 bit and you will give yourself a favor, Avisynth 32 bit, ffdshow 32 bit, Megui 32 bit, whatever it just works.
    Download Mvtools2.dll from here here bottom of the page , unzip and put in Avisynth/plugins folder

for NTSC 29.97p I use this to slowdown 2x:

AVISource("D:\video.avi")
    KillAudio()
    ConverttoYV12()#video is RGB from frame server
    super = MSuper(pel=2)
    backward_vec = MAnalyse(super, overlap=4, isb = true, search=3)
    forward_vec = MAnalyse(super, overlap=4, isb = false, search=3)
    MFlowFps(super, backward_vec, forward_vec, num=60000, den=1001)
    Assumefps("ntsc_video") #ignore this and youl will get double frame rate

for 30p (cameras):

Directshowsource("D:\video.mov")
    KillAudio()
    super = MSuper(pel=2)
    backward_vec = MAnalyse(super, overlap=4, isb = true, search=3)
    forward_vec = MAnalyse(super, overlap=4, isb = false, search=3)
    MFlowFps(super, backward_vec, forward_vec, num=60, den=1)
    Assumefps(30) #ignore this and youl will get double frame rate

you have to use these for separate clips and such, if you try to slow down crossfade it will fail, so same scenes preferable
    Last edited by _Al_; 31st Dec 2011 at 11:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sample files: Download contain 2 files 30p(original) and 60p(Remake)

link (20Mb): http://www.multiupload.com/5Z3SHI79I1

Claudio
    Quote Quote