VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, currently I'm streaming hd video mostly MKV files straight from a western digital externall HDD, connected via USB, to my Samsung LN40B750, which supports that format. Now I've noticed the picture will occasionally "stutter" just a bit for a minute or so, here and there. Also if I have the refresh rate set to "smooth" aka 240hz, there will occasionally be some "blurring" during fast moving scenes. My questions are:
    1: Is the problem being caused by my TV, or by the external hard drive?
    2: If I get a media player (popcorn for example), and play the files through it, will it improve the picture quality?
    3: Would getting a newer external HDD, with 3.0 USB, be any better?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially before I spend any $. I'm just not sure what's the culprit behind these minor
    quality issues.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That drive and USB should be fast enough for video. I have a 2.5" WD Passport drive that easily handles my MKV HD videos over USB 2.0. And it's likely a 5400 RPM HDD.

But not all video devices can manage HD. My laptop has too slow a processor and video chip to handle MKV HD.

Something like the WDTV or similar that directly outputs the video may be the best choice if the USB/TV interface is the problem.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, I haven't really looked too much at some of the newer media players etc... since I was lucky enough to have a TV that handled MKV's. I will probably be looking for one soon though (popcorn maybe?). Thanks for the input, and the welcome....
    Quote Quote