VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought a TV (Sharp LC-19LE510E) that can record tv programs on USB in crypted .ts format.
    I can't play the recorded files on my pc with any ts player. How can I convert it in other format? (avi, mpg....).
    I recorded a mini-video for you, if you want to try to play/convert the video.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.anastacia-lyn.com/temp/2011112300113501.rar
    Thanks a lot!! (and sorry for my english :P )
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by charmedangel View Post
    I bought a TV (Sharp LC-19LE510E) that can record tv programs on USB in crypted .ts format.
    I can't play the recorded files on my pc with any ts player. How can I convert it in other format? (avi, mpg....).
    I recorded a mini-video for you, if you want to try to play/convert the video.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.anastacia-lyn.com/temp/2011112300113501.rar
    Thanks a lot!! (and sorry for my english :P )
    I was part of a similar thread a few months back. TVs that record to a USB storage device apply a proprietary form of encryption to the recordings they make. As far as I know, nobody has broken the encryption method used by any of these TVs yet.

The recordings are not intended to be portable. They are just supposed to allow people to watch the recorded TV programs on their TV at a more convenient time, or pause and resume the show as necessary. The recordings cannot be played back with anything other than the TV that made them.

If you want to know why the recordings are encrypted, from what I recall, some European countries have conditional access paid TV services available, and the services demand copy-protection for recordings.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Dec 2011 at 15:08.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ohh nooo!!!! So there is no method to convert theme??!! :°(
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ohh nooo!!!! So there is no method to convert theme??!! :°(
    No decryption method was suggested in the other thread. If there is a way to decrypt the recordings, I can't find it using Google.

In the other thread, the OP reported that Sharp's support said the encrypted .ts files could be copied to a PC for safekeeping, but only the TV can play them back.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Dec 2011 at 20:24.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, thank you!!
    Do you know if only Sharp save in crypted ts file? There is a TV that I can buy that can save in other formats? (playable in pc)
    ....hope you can understand :P
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thank you!!
    Do you know if only Sharp save in crypted ts file? There is a TV that I can buy that can save in other formats? (playable in pc)
    ....hope you can understand :P
    Sorry, I do not know of one. You will have to hope that a resident of the EU finds this thread and provides an answer, but that may not happen.

In my country there are not any TVs that can be used for recording video, let alone any that do not encrypt their recordings. Here, the USB ports on TVs are only good for watching videos or viewing photographs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    many converters handle ts files now a days as ffmpeg support them. problem may be the encryption which i hate always
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try MPEG streamclip....though if its encrypted probably not much use. These TVs that do this...do they record at resolutions of 1280 or higher? If so there might be some incentive for someone to decrypt the coding...though DirecTV sure set an example of the near impossible with this >
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by nateo200 View Post
    Try MPEG streamclip....though if its encrypted probably not much use. These TVs that do this...do they record at resolutions of 1280 or higher? If so there might be some incentive for someone to decrypt the coding...though DirecTV sure set an example of the near impossible with this >
    It don't works. A message say: "can't find video or audio tracks"
    I don't know the record resolution but it's surely high
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What does MediaInfo say about the file?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all! I have the same problem Damn Sharp!!

Media info says nothing, this is a screenshot

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by westmere View Post
    Hi all! I have the same problem Damn Sharp!!

Media info says nothing, this is a screenshot
    MediaInfo can't produce a report for .ts files recorded by various TVs because the files are encrypted. ...and based on what I have seen in the past with encrypted recordings made by other kinds of consumer electronics, there is little chance of someone coming up with a method to decrypt them. If you must have portable recordings, you will need to find a different recording solution.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could try and see what MPEG2Repair says ...
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    charmedangel-please do not crosspost in other threads,i deleted that post,just continue in this thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote