VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm encoding my entire DVD collection of StarTrek:TNG to x264. Unfortunately the original source of these is a hybrid interlace scan type and I having tried every possible way of deinterlacing and encoding these to Progressive with pretty poor results. The only way I have found that can put out good encoding quality on these is by turning on Interlaced Mode (TFF) within the x264 settings.

My question is what are the disadvantages or even advantages of encoding to MBAFF(interlaced). The files seem to play fine on my Plasma and PC after the encoding so why is this setting not used much for interlaced sources?

Merry Xmas and New Year
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by shagratt71 View Post
    I'm encoding my entire DVD collection of StarTrek:TNG to x264. Unfortunately the original source of these is a hybrid interlace scan type and I having tried every possible way of deinterlacing and encoding these to Progressive with pretty poor results. The only way I have found that can put out good encoding quality on these is by turning on Interlaced Mode (TFF) within the x264 settings.

My question is what are the disadvantages or even advantages of encoding to MBAFF(interlaced). The files seem to play fine on my Plasma and PC after the encoding so why is this setting not used much for interlaced sources?

Merry Xmas and New Year
    ID the source DVD. Are these the latest releases or the older native interlace.

TNG is in the process of remaster. These should be treated as progressive. You won't do better than $x million of their efforts.

... maybe you will?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These are the original DVD releases, not the yet to be released remastered ones! I WISH!lol. I cant wait for the new remastered ones to come out, the old DVD releases were very badly mastered indeed! - thanks for your reply edDV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Treat the old ones as interlace. Encode interlace.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by shagratt71 View Post
    My question is what are the disadvantages or even advantages of encoding to MBAFF(interlaced).
    Interlaced encoding isn't as efficient as progressive encoding. x264's interlaced mode isn't as well optimized as its progressive mode. But if your source is interlaced you need to encode interlaced.
    Quote Quote