VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Can someone help me in streaming video files to XBOX360. So Far I haven't been able to play any. I get "unsupported" error (69-C00D36BE).

What is the best converter to use for this purpose? and what settings should I use? A tutorial link would be ideal. I would like to stream HD content in 1080p, which I think, according to XBOX360 support page, only WMV is supported, but I could be wrong.

I downloaded AVIdemux which I like a lot for it's ease of use. If I can use it for my purpose that would be great. I have already tried to encode in several ways (both AVI and MP4) and nothing has worked to so far. So I must be using the wrong settings.

I am a total newbie, and any help explained simply would help.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. How are you streaming to the Xbox? Through simple media sharing or have you set up the 360 as a media extender?

When using media sharing, the 360 is very particular about what it will play. Common AVI files such as XviD with AC3 or MP3 audio should be OK as long as the bitrate isn't too high. WMV files of any type are usually OK.

MP4 files must have either MPEG4-Part 2 (Xvid/DivX) or H.264 video and must have AAC-LC audio with no more than two channels. Additionally, H.264 files must be encoded with no more than 3 reference frames.

As a media extender with Windows 7, the 360 is a little more flexible.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you so much for the quick reply mh2360.

I am steaming to the Xbox through my HP PC that has wireless connection. My PC is listed in XBOX and I can watch video files that are on my PC. I also have Vuze that I can connect with. I can also use Window Media Center extender, but I see no use in that since I can access my files directly from the xbox.

I used MPEG4/AVC is AVC the same as H.264?

So in order to stream HD with more than 2 channel audio, I should go with WMV? Is there any simple converters, like AVIdemux that can convert to WMV?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by blueleo65 View Post
    I used MPEG4/AVC is AVC the same as H.264?
    Yes.

Originally Posted by blueleo65 View Post
    So in order to stream HD with more than 2 channel audio, I should go with WMV? Is there any simple converters, like AVIdemux that can convert to WMV?
    The 360 supports HD XviD and DivX with AC3 audio, but i have found that it has issues with bitrates above around 5000kbps, so WMV might be your best bet.

Microsoft's Expression Encoder is great for WMV-HD 5.1 encoding, but like most other Windows Media encoders, it's pretty slow.
    Last edited by mh2360; 25th Dec 2011 at 05:58.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again very helpful stuff!

Will report my progress.

Mike
    Quote Quote