VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 16:07.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 16:06.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you so much for all your efforts on this video sanlyn. I look forward to see your new results
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Quote Quote  
  5. Last edited by mathmax; 1st Mar 2012 at 13:54.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-

Click image for larger version

Name:	frame 59.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	11267

Name:	frame 735.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	11268

Name:	frame 1222.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	11269
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 16:08.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    There's still much to do. Worked color/levels a little. Made a mistake, forgot I had an extra call to RemoveDirt, made some parts look a little raw. Will fix it later.

Shirt trial run: NTSC MPEG2/layer2 54-MB 1-min 2-sec
    http://dc239.4shared.com/download/GDWglJnH/V6_Short.mpg

first 2-min 45-sec, NTSC MPEG2/layer2 127-MB
    http://dc430.4shared.com/download/LxWMPFLO/m4v_TrialDenoise.mpg

Will post documentation tomorrow.

Attachment 11267

Attachment 11268

Attachment 11269
    This is very nice, I like how you corrected the skin color. Their faces look way more natural. However, the walls look too pink in my opinion.. I'm eager to see you color settings.

And it seems you reduced the sharpening in MCTemporalDenoise().. which strength did you set?

And then, did you apply other additional filter ? Why do you want to use RemoveDirt()?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 16:08.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 16:10.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thank you very much for your posts. I'm sorry for my late answer, I have been busy this week and away from video stuff in spite of myself..

I want to quote your script and answer point by point:

STEP 1
    Code:
    MCTemporalDenoise(settings="medium",sigma=6,DeBlock=true,useQED=true,quant1=8,quant2=16)
    I would use it different parameters.. let me know what you think.
    First, I would desactivate the sharpening cause in my opinion that needs to be after the denoising filters.. if each denoisers applies its own sharpening, the video might looks a bit unnatural at the end.
    Then, I would use twopass=true... of course the script is slower to process, but I think the difference worth it. You can denoise more keeping more details than using a stronger value in single pass mode.
    I would use chroma=false, because the noise is really a luminosity problem.
    I would use stabilize=true because it helps with our rippling objects in the background and the noise on camera motion.
    Finally, I would keep strong values for thSAD, thSAD2, thSCD1, thSCD2 because it reduce the grain that appears around motion (for example around Michael's hand when he moves it).

Code:
    new_clip=interleave(eRG,oRG).weave()
    why don't you apply QTGMC() + SelectEven() after this step ? (to get rid of the comb artifacts)

STEP 2
    Code:
    TemporalDegrain(sigma=10)
    This filter works very differently than the preceding one. It seems to keep more details... the denoised frames look individually more natural after denoising, however the static noise remaining is quite annoying on motion. That must be a good compromise to use it in combination with MCTemporalDenoise(). I wonder how you remove the remaining static noise after this step.. probably neatvideo will play a role for that.

STEP 3
    Code:
    gradfun2dbmod(thr=1.8,str=0.9,strC=0.9,mask=false)
    I still don't really see the contribution of this function.. you said you will post some comparison frames. I hope I can understand more why you chose to use it here.

Code:
    AddGrainC(var=2.5,uvar=4.0)
    I don't understand why you add grain at this place.. some denoising filter will be applied after that. Won't it be better to add grain as a final step? Also, I'm used with GrainFactory3().. which one is better in your opinion?

STEP 3

Code:
    RD=in1.RemoveDirt(5,0,false)
    in2=MergeChroma(in1,RD)
    I couldn't really figure out what is the plus of removeDirt() comparing the other functions we used before. And why do you apply the filter only on chroma?
    I thought this function was used to removed dust on old film.. I might be confusing though...

Concerning your settings on colors, I really love how you fixed each scene individually (thank you for the screens, very helpful to illustrate the problem with these two sequences). I would love to have the settings for each scenes.

I'll play more with the curves but I just wonder why you boost the green and red (i.e yellow) especially on high value... whereas the bights are already saturated with yellow.

And also, the saturation +5 makes the walls too pink in my opinion.. but you might have used different settings for these scenes.

I wonder why do you need to convert to RGB, since these plugins work on YUV too..

I'm impressed by the quality of the final video. It looks calm and more natural than before... You're probably right to use softer settings for MCTemporalDenoise(), the video looks less like a cartoon as it was a big problem before.

Thank you again for all your efforts on this video. I really appreciate your work.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 16:10.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thank you

I now try to test each functions separately to see their effect..
    I have a problem with RemoveDirt() though.. the version you used is quite different than the version on the website (the parameters don't match). Could you upload your avsi?

I also wonder why you need to tweak the curves in two steps.. is it just a personal technique to be more accurate?

And I try to open the original .m4v directly in virtualdub.. both colormills and gradation curves work on it although it's not RGB. So I wonder if the conversion is needed.
    Last edited by mathmax; 15th Mar 2012 at 11:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you reupload the original sample mathmax, i wanna test a few filters on it
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Can you reupload the original sample mathmax, i wanna test a few filters on it
    I think sanyln reuploaded it in earlier post

http://dc402.4shared.com/download/Osc_fd2F/AllinYourName.m4v

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/341917-remove-noise-and-block?p=2145097&viewfull=1#post2145097
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 16:27.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mathmax View Post
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    It would help much if we had some history about how this video was made. It's a cinch you can't clean it up in M4v format, it will have to be converted away from lossy m4v compression.
    It's sold on the official Barry Gibbs website and the only thing they say is that this video has been shot 2002 with Hi8 camera. And the quality of the video is due to the nature of the recording..

http://www.barrygibb.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=79

Anyone MJ fans contact Mr. Gibb, Mathmax?

You can be certain a better version is possible than that XviD mess

You can even offer to clean it up , guide him or whoever has the Hi8 tape through a better transfer
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    Speaking of combing effects, how does a supposedly progressive non-interlaced video become afflicted with combing effects, hm? (???).The shimmer I wanted to clean up by using QTGMC actually looked a little worse.Strange. This is just one really strange clip.
    Hi8 would have been interlaced to begin with, then deinterlaced for web distribution

This is a 24.0 fps clip and there is evidence of missing frames/ frame jumps

Another few reasons to redo the transfer properly and process it correctly
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Anyone MJ fans contact Mr. Gibb, Mathmax?

You can be certain a better version is possible than that XviD mess

You can even offer to clean it up , guide him or whoever has the Hi8 tape through a better transfer
    You're right.. we should do that. But that is not an easy thing to obtain..
    Once our work on the video will be finish, I'll request for another transfer and show him the result we could get just by cleaning his poor m4v. I think it will be more convincing if we have something to present.

sanlyn, there is no combing artifact in the last sample you sent. I guess the following denoisers and other smoothers could make them disappear... however, I'm afraid we lose details with this technique. Did you try to render the whole thing on progressive frames?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 16:28.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Any progress sanlyn?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sanlyn,

Trying to read through this thread and figure out what you are doing with this video. Is the source video a downloaded FLV file?

Next question does it have shifting motion blocks in the video?

What are you doing to fix the motion block issue?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sanlyn,

Have enough problems dealing with my videos, motion problems can be a nightmare and almost impossible to fix. It can be something simple but more than likely someone messed it up pretty bad. Now you have to deal with that mess. Email the guy who is selling this video and get the source recording and than you can make it perfect.

A $1.99 downloaded Michael Jackson video?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    -30-
    Quote Quote