VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have several years experience now converting between various formats. Since I discovered AviDemux (AD), it pretty much has taken over the tasks with AVIs and I'm very happy with it. After maybe 5-7 years using AutoGK (AGK), I much prefer AD - it's easier to work with, doesn't need installing and supports way more formats. It's easy to crop, add fade-ins and -outs and other minor editing before re-encoding. But AD doesn't work on the odd AVI and MP4. i.e., I have an AVI that when re-encoded with my preferred specs developed audio synch issues. In such cases, in past would have just used AGK for this one, which usually fixed the problem (and vice-versa, in the early days of my using AD when I was still predominantly AGK, would switch over to AD when AGK produced auto-of-synch files, and resulting file usu. was good).

The hassle lies AGK needs installing - it's lengthy enough and involves several steps. I just did an OS wipe/reinstall and don't want hassle anymore of installing AGK so it's going to get retired for good now.

My other freewares don't do an adequate job, though. Any Video Converter has bug: CBR audio doesn't produce CBR audio, instead, it's VBR. No good. XMedia Recode okay, but I just particularly care for it. Clunky and not as easy/peasy to work with as AD.

Can anyone recommend anything, then, preferably that works as a standalone after initial, first-time install (like AD and Any Video Converter and XMedia Recode do)?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe handbrake 0.9.3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Maybe handbrake 0.9.3.
    I ditto that, Ripbot264 may be worth a look, but i find it that it sometimes has problems with audio sync when encoding DVD to MKV.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi, thanks!

Darnit. Both require .NET framework, something I still shie away from. Ah well. Will keep looking!

Thanks. Anything else anyone can suggest that doesn't require other complex systems installed like java or .NET, would appreciate it!! I should have mentioned that before. Sorry, but I often forget. It's just something so second-nature to me when I'm looking for software that I often forget it as it's an unconscious thing that makes me rule out apps that need special things like this.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Quote Quote  
  5. You could try TEncoder. It has a "nosetup" .7z file for download. I don't know if it accommodates the audio options you want. But from using it and some other tools it seems that FFMPeg can do just about everything. It's a matter of determining the command line switches. TEncoder has a profile editor and also an "export to batch file" option where you could change the command line options. It also uses Mencoder but my experience with that tool is negligible.

The TEncoder 1.5 release has the latest FFMPeg. I mainly use it to package .mkv in an .mp4 container only encoding the audio. In those cases, esp. when run in batch, it flies through the job. Runs both my cores in the high 80s to low 90s percent usage. Working on a single file seems to use about a core in total. It's definitely designed for batch jobs. Not really designed for adding multiple filters. Does not support AviSynth input scripts. It may be a good starting point for using FFMPeg though.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 24th Dec 2011 at 22:21.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi, thanks for the TEncoder tip. I've dl and tried it out briefly. I'll try in future re-encodes where AviDemux has problems, like I was using AutoGK. Nice not to have to install AGK. Wish there was a portable version <sigh>.

There were only two things I'm wondering about, one is the CBR in audio. Unlike AviDemux and AutoGK, I couldn't find where to ensure that the audio is CBR which is a must for me. Secondly, will also have to figure out if I can save presets, as it were. I tried to figure out how to do that in the Extra Options, which seemed only place, but again, couldn't see where to save the script, which is what seems to control this. If those 2 things can be ironed out, just might be able to use this app.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Diana (Cda) View Post

There were only two things I'm wondering about, one is the CBR in audio. Unlike AviDemux and AutoGK, I couldn't find where to ensure that the audio is CBR which is a must for me. Secondly, will also have to figure out if I can save presets, as it were. I tried to figure out how to do that in the Extra Options, which seemed only place, but again, couldn't see where to save the script, which is what seems to control this. If those 2 things can be ironed out, just might be able to use this app.

Thanks!
    Hi I'm developing TEncoder.

TEncoder always passes audio bitrate as CBR (Ogg Vorbis might be an exception).

In order to create a preset, click "New/Edit" button on the main window. Click "New" button of the next window, change values and hit "Save" button.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks, I've looked at TEncode again briefly and will try saving the presets. Thanks for that tip. And nice to know that audio is CBR because it doesn't say on the interface, as far as I can see at least (?).

Next time AviDemux chokes or whatever, will give this one a try.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Diana (Cda) View Post
    Unlike AviDemux and AutoGK, I couldn't find where to ensure that the audio is CBR which is a must for me.
    If using AutoGK and you want CBR audio, in the Advanced Settings you can choose CBR MP3 and the bitrate. So your only complaint about AutoGK is that you have to take a few minutes to install it? A very peculiar complaint, if you ask me.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Diana (Cda) View Post
    Thanks, I've looked at TEncode again briefly and will try saving the presets. Thanks for that tip. And nice to know that audio is CBR because it doesn't say on the interface, as far as I can see at least (?).

Next time AviDemux chokes or whatever, will give this one a try.

Cheers.
    What happened here is too brief a message caused confusion. I was talking about TEncoder. Unlike AviDemux and AutoGK, TEncoder _doesn'_ show that audio is CBR. But ozok kindly pointed this out to us so all's good.

And, p.s., the words in the sentence say it all ... that I actually wasn't talking about either AviDemux or AutoGK:

Originally Posted by Diana (Cda) View Post
    Unlike AviDemux and AutoGK, I couldn't find where to ensure that the audio is CBR which is a must for me.
    Thanks much!!
    Last edited by Diana (Cda); 5th Jan 2012 at 15:42.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Rereading your sentence, I owe you an apology as you weren't accusing AutoGK of not allowing CBR audio encoding at all. I take it all back.

But I still think it odd to object to having to install a program consisting mostly of lots of other programs it needs to do its job.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Rereading your sentence, I owe you an apology as you weren't accusing AutoGK of not allowing CBR audio encoding at all. I take it all back.

But I still think it odd to object to having to install a program consisting mostly of lots of other programs it needs to do its job.
    No worries.

I hear you and I do, too. But the forced WMV9 output in both audio and video with very specific max frame size and bitrate have made this an extreme challenge. On top of that, I needed freeware. I'm only using this MP3 Player until I can afford to get my own that plays my AVIs straight, as is, without any conversion whatsoever. So it's great that MediaCoder so far is doing the job when more than a dozen other applications didn't. Lots of freeware convert _FROM_ WMV but very few convert _TO_ WMV, for obvious reasons, you see.

p.s., on an aside, my dad's flatscreen TV plays my AVIs as is off of a USB stick and my DVD Recorder _and_ Media Player plugged into my TV both play the AVIs straight, too (with difference that DVD Recorder requires AVIs being burned to disk, of course) so there are devices out there that do play AVIs straightforwardly but that's for the future. I'm supposed to start a new contract this coming Monday so maybe in a month or so I can buy my own video MP3 Player. I'll just have to see how that goes. Then we can consign this Walkman to ... a charity shop or something! <g>

Still, it sure is neat to use this player for now. <g>

Thanks everyone! So far, so good.
    Quote Quote