VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey people

First post on here, but I've lurked for a while and this forum is indispensable for dealing with many very specific and hard-to-find-general-info-on problems.

I have a question: I'm currently cleaning up and compressing some DV footage ripped from NTSC VHS tapes.. before it ended up there, it was filmed on an old analog camcorder, so it's definitely pure interlaced, no telecine.

To deinterlace it, I tried a few different methods and eventually ended up using Tdeint in avisynth, which gave me vastly better results than any of the deinterlacing filters I tried in virtualdub. I'm not great with scripts so I've used the default suggestion for interlacing without blending, that is -

DirectShowSource()
    interp = separatefields().selecteven().eedi2()
    tdeint(edeint=interp)

after opening that with Virtualdub I've applied NeatVideo to clean it up, Smart sharpen, resizing to maintain the pixel aspect ration and so forth.. and then some colour correction/levels adjustment in after effects. All that works fine, the problem is... that after the deinterlacing with Tdeint I get some weird artefacts on the video.

I didn't get them when I deinterlaced using any of the virtual dub filters I tried, and they are already present before I apply neat video or anything else, so it's definitely something to do with what Tdeint is doing

Here is an example - www.trickipedia.net/artefacts.jpeg

They only crop up on select frames and mostly not that badly, but it's enough to be off-putting

I wondered if anyone here knew if there was some specific setting I could tweak in Tdeint to fix it.. or failing that, suggest another good method of deinterlacing
    this might be a stupid question, but do you think it could be because I'm using DirectShowSource and not AviSource when importing the footage?

Many thanks for any help
    Matt
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I've tried QTGMC, no matter what I do I get the error "there is no function interleaved2planar" I have SSEtools (have tried all of them), same with all the remove grains, I even installed the plugin pack for it, it's annoying XD
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interleaved2Planar comes from SSE3Tools.
    But this is only needed if your source is YUY2, which is odd since you have a DV source.
    Try using AviSource, and install the Cedocida DV codec if you don't already have it, setting it to output YV12.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the suggestion - I've installed that codec, if I use AVI source without converting to anything, I get "temporal soften: RGB24 not supported", if I convert to YV12, I get "no function named remove grain" and if I convert to YUY2, I get once again "no function named interleaved2planar" :S something really does not want to recognize those remove grain functions (I've tried swapping SSE2Tools with SSE3Tools, no effect, have tried each of the different remove grain filters too (s, SSE2, SSE3), no help either
    Last edited by Locke; 21st Dec 2011 at 14:51.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There are two main RemoveGrain versions, and the filters that depend on it require a specific version. Figure out which you have and then try the other one:

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Removegrain
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    I've gone through trying every single RemoveGrain dll in all of those archives, same error on each one :S
    Quote Quote  
  7. This is when trying to use QTGMC? Download the whole package. Have you done that:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156028

But, with me, the included version of RemoveGrain worked in XP and after switching to Win7 I had to use the other version. I have no idea why that might be.

Also, if you're autoloading it, try adding it specifically to the script using a LoadPlugin line.

Or just deinterlace using Yadif and see if it'll suit your needs. No artifacts, I don't think. Or did you already try the VDub version of it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Hmm... if I try to load the plugins manually, it gives me a "unable to load SSE2tools.dll" error (filepath is correct and such, double checked)... could that be showing where the problem is?, if that plugin isn't loading for some reason that would be a good reason for interleave2planar not to exist.. is there anything I can do about that?

I have tried the virtualdub filters for deinterlacing, inc yadif, I also tried the area-based one, but Tdeint gave me a noticably better result. If not for those odd artifacts
    Quote Quote