VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if i rip a dvd to my hard drive with multiple audio/subtitle tracks, when i convert that vob to avi or mkv, will that single avi/mkv file have the multiple audio/subtitle tracks ?

i have been just ripping with either the main audio or commentary seperate, but would be easier if i could have both audio tracks on the one file

I use WD media centre ( i think its called that) connected to my tv, rather than using vlc on my computer. Just that sometimes ive noticed on vlc i can choose from different audio tracks but on WD media player i cant
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you only rip it, all files will be there on your hard drive, which should be an exact copy of the DVD, minus encryption. When you convert/encode it to different formats, it would depend on the codec/container used, the software you used for encoding and the settings selected. MKV can use multiple audio, sub tracks, depends on how you set it up. Xvid/Divx, maybe not as flexible.

And the software/hardware for playback does make a difference. I find VLC can handle subs and alternate audio fairly easily. Not sure about WD boxes. I have a WD live, but most of my videos are MKV with just the main movie and audio. I don't do subs that often, or extras, or alternate languages. If I do want to keep the extras on my HDD, I do them separately.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, just seems like it will be easier to make 2 files, 1 with commentary and 1 standard
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    AVI does allow multiple audio tracks, but some playback devices may not support it. I don't think I've ever tried this from my older Western Digital media player but if you have an option to change audio tracks it should support it. However subtitles rarely are supported inside AVI containers. If you can use MKV it's the way to go as it seems to be better supported for multiple audio tracks and subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I should add, the only way I know to get multiple audio tracks in an AVI container is to use VirtualDub and add any extra tracks and save the final output in "direct stream" mode with no re-encoding. That means that you will have to do any processing necessary on your other audio tracks outside of your main conversion software as I'm not aware of any DVD->AVI programs that handle more than 1 audio stream in the conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I should add, the only way I know to get multiple audio tracks in an AVI container is to use VirtualDub and add any extra tracks and save the final output in "direct stream" mode with no re-encoding. That means that you will have to do any processing necessary on your other audio tracks outside of your main conversion software as I'm not aware of any DVD->AVI programs that handle more than 1 audio stream in the conversion.
    You could do this with Handbrake v0.9.3 and older.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by angryassdrummer View Post
    yeah, just seems like it will be easier to make 2 files, 1 with commentary and 1 standard
    If you just need the 'commentary' audio, it's usually separate from the video, so you just need the audio track. At least with MKV, you could add that track as a second audio, then select it with your player.

Extras are often separate VOBs on a DVD and you can usually combine them all together, though you would have to skim through them to pick an individual extra. Or you can split them out as individual extras. But that's a bit more work. You would want them named the same as the main movie, as 'movie_Extra 1' or similar to keep them together in the index. Or put the movie and the extras in a folder, but a bit slower to navigate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used to create dual-audio (plus a muxed-in SRT subtitle stream) AVIs with VirtualDubMod, for use with my Philips DVP-642 player; I could switch audio streams and turn the subtitles on and off with no problems. Those files still work just fine with my current Philips (DVP-5990).

I believe you should also be able to use AVI-Mux GUI to create an AVI with multiple streams, but I've never really used it. These days, I'd probably use AVIAddXSubs or maybe AVISub to mux the subtitles into the AVI, rather than manually adding the subtitle streams in VirtualDubMod, though.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Fairuse Wizard also supports 2 audio tracks for Xvid.

Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    I believe you should also be able to use AVI-Mux GUI to create an AVI with multiple streams, but I've never really used it. These days, I'd probably use AVIAddXSubs or maybe AVISub to mux the subtitles into the AVI, rather than manually adding the subtitle streams in VirtualDubMod, though.
    I have used AVI-Mux to also add multiple audio tracks when i wanted a DTS audio track included, AVIAddXSubs to make chapters in an Xvid along with adding subs.

And my Philips DVP3962 upconverting dvd player also plays Xvid files with chapters, embedded & external subtitles and dual/triple audio tracks.

My LG BD610 Blu-ray player also plays Xvid with dual/triple audio channels from a USB thumbdrive or an external hard drive, also MKV's, it plays external IDX/SUBS & SRT's & Internal/embedded subs.

I picked up 2 from walmart for $50.00 each so i guess i can't complain as they work great.
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 21st Dec 2011 at 21:42.
    Quote Quote  
  10. AutoGK also can easily make an XviD or DivX AVI with 2 audio tracks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so, if i convert to MKV does that mean i rip my dvds with all the audio tracks i want, then convert the VOB to MKV with Freemake video converter... in that mkv file all the audio channels will be there?
    i tried that with avi and it only ever used 1 track
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would probably depend entirely upon the converter you used, and the settings.

MakeMKV might do what you're looking for, though.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    giving makemkv a try now, couldnt see any options of what audio to select/not select or to choose output size?.. will see how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my bad, found how to choose audio but not output size
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    makemkv is handy, saves me ripping with shrink then converting to mkv

what is a free software program that will shrink the size but keep all the audio/subtitle tracks i have? im guessing if i use freemake video converter it will just keep the main audio track

once i have a program that will shrink the mkv file, what size is a good size for an mkv file movie ie 120min and tv shows 23min & 50min?

smalller the better, but not losing too much quality. the files coming out of makemkv are around 4-5gig big! way too big
    Last edited by angryassdrummer; 22nd Dec 2011 at 04:57. Reason: forgot to add something
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use Freemake, but with Handbrake you can use a constant quality setting for a 2 hour DVD conversion of about CQ 20 and that will give you about a 1 - 2GB MKV file. Or you can set a filesize. You should also be able to select multiple sound tracks and subs, but I haven't tried that. HB can also convert from a decrypted DVD directly from a DVD drive, so you don't have to rip the DVD to your HDD first.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    AutoGK also can easily make an XviD or DivX AVI with 2 audio tracks.
    Yeah. It's been awhile, but didn't you need Morgan Stream Switcher to make the streams selectable in MPC?

Didn't know there were standalones that support selection of embedded streams in AVIs.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

Yeah. It's been awhile, but didn't you need Morgan Stream Switcher to make the streams selectable in MPC?
    Not in MPC, I don't think, but in WMP, for sure. But who uses that? Wasn't the original question about whether or not it can be done? And it's ideal for something like a movie audio track and a commentary track because the 2nd audio track (the commentary) will be reencoded to MP3, where the original can be kept as DD 5.1 or whatever it was.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, getting a bit off from what im asking ^^^^

im saying , if i use makemkv the file is huge, so what can shrink it to a smaller size but keep a decent quality & all audio/subtitle tracks?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you can 'shrink' with Makemkv. It just repackages the files into a MKV container and doesn't convert or shrink them. Re-encoding to MKV does take a bit of computer power to do in a timely manner, but you can run a batch of conversions overnight if your PC is slower.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes, what i was saying is once i have made these files on makemkv, what program can i use to shrink them? while keeping all the audio files intact
    Quote Quote