VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I often use the conversion software 'Format Factory' to convert anime MKV with subtitles/embedded fonts to avi so they can be watched on an xbox running xbmc.

The software has worked brilliantly for me for a while now, However this morning I upgraded to the latest version of the software (2.80) & suddenly everytime i try to convert a video I get a 'Fail to decode' error. Im getting this error even on files which I had previously encoded with the software without problem.

I downgraded to the previous version of the software (2.70) yet now even this is doing the same thing.

I'd like to get this sorted as Format Factory is the easiest to use software I've found to take an MKV & convert it to avi while hardcoding the subtitle & retaining the styled/embedded fonts & positions. I've tried other software which has hardcoded the subtitles in the avi yet not retained the embeddedf fonts or positions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you play the mkv in windows media player?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Can you play the mkv in windows media player?
    Yes but there's no subtitles.

I usually use media player classic home cinema to play video files & in that the files all play fine.

Like I said i've not had problems encoding video's using format factory before, everything seems to have got messed up after i installed the latest version. even files i had encoded before will no longer encode.

i've tried re-installing various codecs & things yet nothing seems to fix the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just got it working. Turned out it was something to do with having dxva enabled in CoreAVC. Bit weird since it worked with that enabled before?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Great! And thanks for sharing your solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having the exact same problem with my mkv files... I've used Format Factory's versions 2.50 and 2.70 to hard-sub
    mkv files with no problems.

Now that I'm using Format Factory version 2.95 I'm having those same error message problems as you have,
    plus I can't get the mkv files to play back in the preview window in the Option tab
    (where I can choose the audio and subtitle streams, and edit Start/Stop points)

(I'm wondering if my having Windows folders might have be the cause of the problem?
    I've got Windows, Windows2, and Windows3 folders... the first two Windows installs crashed,
    so I installed Windows a third time now to a different folder
    )

Anyway, I see you resolved your problem due to a "dxva" issue... I'll try that solution and
    see if it helps resolve my situation.

Format Factory is by far a very awesome program, I don't wanna give it up for something
    else. But if I'm gonna have problems with it now, I'll try a better program elsewhere.
    I'm working on hard-subbing a 92-episode anime series and I need each episode to be
    consistent in its file properties and subtitle fonts so I can compile my own DVD box set,
    Format Factory was doing a good job with that until I started having this problem now.
    zozo, Magengar-Z
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, by the way.... After my work is done I watch the episodes in GOM player.
    zozo, Magengar-Z
    Quote Quote