VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this with their on board PC DVD read/writer. Model: Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A Firmware 1.14 Reading from either iso created by Imgburn or on the fly by Nero. The disk burns with no errors, but when I verify using Imgburn or Fix-it Utilities 4.0 disk verify will often come up with 'one or more files were unreadable' or like today a CRC. But, when I verify again, this time using my DVD Rom Liteon SHD 16PIS GS07 drive, the disk verifies with no errors reported. Disks the Optiarc had rejected and I had tossed yesterday were accepted by Liteon. I did think it was my media, but apparently not. (?) Does this mean my DVD RW drive: a. needs it's lens cleaning - can I do that with a disk, rather than taking my tower apart? b. firmware issue - I did upgrade from 1.11 to 1.14 fairly recently. c. the drive us dying - I doubt this as it writes with no errors reported. How reliable is disk verify anyway, are there things that will make it fall over apart from bad/damaged/dirty media (none of which apply to above as the disks came clean from the cake spindle).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bahjan View Post
    But, when I verify again, this time using my DVD Rom Liteon SHD 16PIS GS07 drive, the disk verifies with no errors reported.
    Proof that verifying is a waste of time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Lite-on drive may simply be better at reading marginal discs.

If you are using something other than Verbatim AZO, Verbatim Data Life Plus (not their Life or Value Line), or Taiyo Yuden media, it could be the discs. The only time I saw DVDs fail verification was a few years back when I used any brand-name media that was on sale. The problem disks were branded Philips and TDK as I recall, but I don't remember who really made them for Philips and TDK. In one case 25% of the package failed verification. I never had that problem again after I began using Verbatim AZO media exclusively.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My iMac which I have on loan from work has an Optiarc drive in it. It's POS compliant. The thing has NEVER been able to burn DL media, not even Verbatim's good DVD+R DL discs using ImgBurn under Windows in a VM. I'd rather buy a burner than use a free Optiarc, that's how much I hate their drives. WORST BURNER EVER.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The verify tells you if the DVD data can be reconciled with the HDD data on that particular drive at that particular time.

The only time I've experienced it is on a stack of DVD-RW's I rotate . After a certain amount of usage,
    they pick up scratches or other blemishes. Often after cleaning the disks and rewriting the data, they verify OK.

I wouldn't say verify is a waste of time; it's a warning that either the DVD disk or drive has a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bahjan View Post
    Hi, I was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this with their on board PC DVD read/writer. Model: Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A Firmware 1.14 Reading from either iso created by Imgburn or on the fly by Nero. The disk burns with no errors, but when I verify using Imgburn or Fix-it Utilities 4.0 disk verify will often come up with 'one or more files were unreadable' or like today a CRC. But, when I verify again, this time using my DVD Rom Liteon SHD 16PIS GS07 drive, the disk verifies with no errors reported. Disks the Optiarc had rejected and I had tossed yesterday were accepted by Liteon. I did think it was my media, but apparently not. (?) Does this mean my DVD RW drive: a. needs it's lens cleaning - can I do that with a disk, rather than taking my tower apart? b. firmware issue - I did upgrade from 1.11 to 1.14 fairly recently. c. the drive us dying - I doubt this as it writes with no errors reported. How reliable is disk verify anyway, are there things that will make it fall over apart from bad/damaged/dirty media (none of which apply to above as the disks came clean from the cake spindle).

Hey,

My name is Mike I work with the Sonylistens team, I am sorry to hear about your problrm with your Sony product, please call our Sony esupport priority service line 239-768-7547 for help with this issue.

Thanks,

Mike
    Sonylistens
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It could be the media because as you say, so far I have had no problems with Verbatim, I usually use good quality media TY or Mitsubushi manufacture codes, cheaper media does tend to have a problem. Thanks for the tip about AnyDVD, I'll bear it in mind if I try to use it in future.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I wouldn't say verify is a waste of time; it's a warning that either the DVD disk or drive has a problem.
    Yes.

When I got my Blu-Ray burner, I bought a spindle of OptoDisc BDRs (Merax brand). Each disc supposedly burned without error in ImgBurn. But each failed verification and would not play on my standalones or with TME from the BD drive in my computer. I concluded they were simply incompatible with my burner.

That was admittedly unusual, you can as a rule believe ImgBurn when it tells you a disc burned successfully. And with known good discs that you've used before, you're likely to be okay. But there you are, decide for yourself if verification is worth the extra time.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote