VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! I learned a folder copied from DVD optical disc contains both audio and video files, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. The VIDEO_TS composed of IFO, BUF and VOB files. I used a tool DVD Fab to copy a DVD disc into the PC. Then I extended the VIDEO_TS folder in my pc. I did not see any IFO, BUF and VOB file but only VIDEO_TS, VTS_01_0, VTS_02_0 and so on. Is the VTS_01_0 etc. just the IFO, BUF or VOB file but the extension has been omitted? If so, how can the user identify all the .VOB files? Thank you for your answer.
    Last edited by coody; 17th Dec 2011 at 22:58.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Go to Explorer's options and turn off the "hide extensions for know file types" option. Then you'll see all the extensions. I don't know why Microsoft thinks hiding extensions is good for you. It's a critical part of the file name. I guess they just want to look like the Mac.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    really? you've been a member here 6 years and using a computer at least that long and you don't know how to have windows show known file type extensions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-17_231509.png
Views:	300
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	10159
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And,

Just so you or another newbie doesn't continue to misunderstand this part of it...

There are 2 kinds of consumer application DVD discs, DVD-Video (very common) and DVD-Audio (not very common). As part of their specifications, BOTH types are required to include BOTH the VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS folders - even if they're empty. If a produced disc is pure DVD-Video, it will have ALL of its title's files in the VIDEO_TS and NONE in the AUDIO_TS. If a produced disc is pure DVD-Audio, it will have NONE of its title's files in the VIDEO_TS and ALL in the AUDIO_TS. Those discs that are combination DVD-Video and DVD-Audio will have something in BOTH places.

In the VIDEO_TS, the media files (usually video + audio + subpicture) are combined together and encapsulated within the *.VOB files. In the AUDIO_TS, the media files (usually audio only) are combined together and encapsulated within the *.AOB files. The *.IFOs in both places are mainly Menu/ControlInfo.

Hope that helps,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, it still does not show the file extension after I have checked the Show hidden files, folders, and drivers in the Folder Options of the Window 7. By testing the copied the VIDEO_TS folder by the DVD Fab does not show the file extension. If you want to locate the specific .vob file, your mouse has to point that file. Then the file extension pops up.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by coody View Post
    No, it still does not show the file extension after I have checked the Show hidden files, folders, and drivers in the Folder Options of the Window 7.
    That's not the setting you need to change. Turn OFF "Hide extensions for known file types."

Click image for larger version

Name:	hide.png
Views:	825
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	10174
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just to mention for newbies, look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD to see what's in a DVD VIDEO_TS folder and what those VOBs, IFOs and BUP files are for.
    Quote Quote