VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings fine folks,

I would like to know your opinion:

What is the best overall video conversion product out there - free or not free

I am looking for a software to replace many different free software I use. I want a software that convert most today's favorite formats.

I would appreciate any opinion

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Freemake
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use both Format Factory & XMedia Recode to convert to AVI. Very important that your Frames Per Sec. is the same as original. I use Mediainfo the get info on original & then try and stick as close to the original as possible. And don't be afraid to use a high bitrate. I use anywhere from 2500 to 3000.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank for all replies...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ffmpeg if you like command line tools...
    Last edited by Baldrick; 21st Dec 2011 at 05:00.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Best is really subjective. That's like saying "what's the best vehicle that is available". If your desitnation is just a standard, run of the mill .mp4 or mkv, then go with Handbrake or Ripbot264. I use Xilisoft Ultimate for anything else. There is professional level software out there, but the more you pay, the less broad based format support you'll probably find.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    folks what do you think about Nero 11,
    or the combination of TMPGEnc Video Mastering Work 5 and TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was a Nero user for many years until I got fed up with their licensing and crappy tech support.

So for the last last few years I've using the free alternatives with varying degrees of success.

Nero's encoder is very good. I've found it to be reliable - although I've not used 11 at all, so can't speak for that version.

BTW, another fairly inexpensive proggie that works well is ConvertXtoDVD.

The free encoder that comes closest, IMO, to Nero's reliability is Freemake (I just wish Freemake would allow for a custom DVD background image). The others are quite quirky.

I'm currently working on three projects and am getting quite frustrated that I can't get the final products exactly as I want.

I'm fairly sure I'll be looking at ConvertXtoDVD again very soon.

GA
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best free multi-format converter I have tried is Avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone;

But please as I stated before, I do not care if the software is free or not....

If someone could also comment on combination of TMPGEnc Video Mastering Work 5 and TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stallion2008 View Post
    Thanks everyone;

If someone could also comment on combination of TMPGEnc Video Mastering Work 5 and TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4.
    Those two applications are good for converting various other formats to MPEG-2 and H.264.

It would help if you said what video and audio formats you need the converter to accept, which video and audio formats you need it to output, and maybe what you planned to do with the output (post it on YouTube, make a DVD that plays in your DVD or Blu-ray player, keep a video library on your PC, etc.)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Thanks everyone;

Those two applications are good for converting various other formats to MPEG-2 and H.264.

It would help if you said what video and audio formats you need the converter to accept, which video and audio formats you need it to output, and maybe what you planned to do with the output (post it on YouTube, make a DVD that plays in your DVD or Blu-ray player, keep a video library on your PC, etc.)
    Thanks for your response;

As to your questions:

1. I have a lot of Avi. Mpeg, wmv files that need to be combined (joined). I have for example a movie I downloaded from internet that was in 4 AVI parts (or 4 Mpeg parts) that now I want to join and then output it to a DVD.
    2. the files that I do not intend on outputting to DVD I would like to be able to write to MKV format
    3. Some of the movies, I would like to be able to add subtitle to them
    4. I would like to be able to compress some of the bigger files into smaller chunks so I could fit let's say 2 or 3 movies into one DVD.

Again thanks for all the comments, and hopefully my explanations could bring in more remarks (helps)

Thanks again
    Last edited by stallion2008; 22nd Dec 2011 at 14:01.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your response;

As to your questions:

1. I have a lot of Avi. Mpeg, wmv files that need to be combined (joined). I have for example a movie I downloaded from internet that was in 4 AVI parts (or 4 Mpeg parts) that now I want to join and then output it to a DVD.
    2. the files that I do not intend on outputting to DVD I would like to be able to write to MKV format
    3. Some of the movies, I would like to be able to add subtitle to them
    4. I would like to be able to compress some of the bigger files into smaller chunks so I could fit let's say 2 or 3 movies into one DVD.

Again thanks for all the comments, and hopefully my explanations could bring in more remarks (helps)

Thanks again
    avi is a container file format. avi files support a fair number of different video and audio formats. See http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw4_spec.html for a list of input file types and video and audio formats that TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 can accept. See http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tvmw5_spec.html for a list of input/output file types and video and audio formats that TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 can import and export.

TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 includes a basic editor and authors playable DVDs, Blu-ray Discs, or DivX Ultra discs after converting the input to a format allowed by the standard for type of disc to be created. It can only convert to MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 video. plus h.263 (but only for Divx Ultra discs). Audio output appears to be limited to those allowed by the standard for type of disc to be created. It can't author AVCHD discs or BLu-Ray discs containing H.264 video. If you want those, you will need to find additional authoring software. It has been a while since I tried it and I can't remember if it can compress video to a target size to fit all the input files on one disc.

TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 includes an editor that can add titles and transitions, and performs audio and video conversion. It only produces files as output. It can't create playable DVDs, Blu-ray Discs, or DivX Ultra discs, but the files it produces can be used as input for other authoring software. It can output .mkv files, but I can't determine if it supports all of the features permitted by the .mkv file format.

I use a lot of free software, and suggest that you try AVStoDVD for creating DVDs to see if it is good enough. It can re-encode input to fit on one DVD. I don't use mkv files, but perhaps someone who does can suggest alternate software for that.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks mate. appreciate your help. Also

Shame on me for replying so late.
    Quote Quote