VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    We got new Samsung LED TV D6600 series. The sales person at shop was telling, it is better to have surge protector for analog antenna. Because this LED TV easily damage due to surge. I already got the Surge Protector for Electric Plug. But does not have surge protector for Analog Antenna.

Please let me know, what is the risk involved with using the "Internal Analog Antenna(i.e. small one)" and "External Analog Antenna(i.e. one mounted on the roof)" which can damage the LED TV?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There's a slight chance of lightning hitting your outdoor antenna so a surge protector would help, if you use an outdoor antenna make sure it's grounded. You don't need protection for an indoor antenna though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    There's a slight chance of lightning hitting your outdoor antenna so a surge protector would help, if you use an outdoor antenna make sure it's grounded. You don't need protection for an indoor antenna though.
    Certainly not for an inside antenna. You are more likely to get zapped from cable if lightening strikes the poles outside.

Keep in mind that store salesmen get high commissions selling cables, extended warranties and other accessories.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by prayami View Post
    Please let me know, what is the risk involved with using the "Internal Analog Antenna(i.e. small one)" and "External Analog Antenna(i.e. one mounted on the roof)" which can damage the LED TV?
    Did he mention an external antenna (properly installed) already has surge protection due to something required by the national electrical code? Did he also mention a digital antenna and analog antenna are same?

Did he mention what makes a protector effective (a low impedance, typically less than 10 foot connection, to single point earth ground)? Did he mention a protector adjacent to an appliance can sometimes make surge damage easier?

Destructive surges can be up to hundreds of thousands of joules. How many joules does that power line protector absorb? Hundreds? A thousand? Why do sales clerks forget to include numbers in their recommendation? Effective protection is about what harmlessly dissipates hundreds of thousands of joules. Sales clerks often forget to discuss that since such solutions are not being sold there.

Did the sales clerk that also recommended that Surge Protector for Electric Plug also forget to provide important numbers?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh good, another visit from the surge-protection-obsessed crackpot who has apparently made it his life's mission to post in every thread on the Internet that mentions surge protectors, no matter how much grave-digging is involved.
    Quote Quote