VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was just pondering if there was a way to take the VC1 from an M2TS, convert the DTS-HD to WMA Pro 5.1 surround and mux them both into a WMV?

I know how to demux the VC1 and DTS-HD, and I've seen guides on how to put the VC1 in a WMV container, but I'm having trouble finding a way to convert the DTS-HD to WMA Pro 5.1. Since the DTS-HD is lossless, it would seem more practical to do it that way.

I don't know if I'd actually do this, but I was just thinking this would make it compatible with the Xbox 360 and the PS3.
    Quote Quote  
  2. So I guess no one knows?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You're not going to like this, but I'm going to be blunt because coddling you does you no favors.

Our experienced members all have media player devices of various types, such as Western Digital models. Converting to WMV just to get a damn Xbox to play it is bs. We've got better things to do with our time than having to do that constantly. Look, the PS3 and Xbox have both basically been obsolete as media players for about 3 years, yes YEARS, now. I know that many people do not like to hear that, but that is the reality of the situation.

Since our experienced members don't mess with WMV/WMA because it's a big pain to encode with it, we really can't offer a lot of advice. I have no idea if DTS-HD is even valid input for ANY encoder that can produce WMV output, even ones that Microsoft sells. DTS-HD and Dolby Lossless have yet to have free (if possibly illegal) programs created that can produce output in those formats. That means that people can't really re-encode them. All they can do is extract the DTS or AC3 compatible core files which are not HD audio and do something with those. You may have the same situation.

To be fair most current media streamers can't handle DTS-HD and Dolby Lossless but at least they can play a wide variety of video formats and as long as you keep the audio to DTS or AC3 (and a few other non-HD formats) you are fine. It's your time and money, but personally I'd advise just buying a media streamer for around $100 and getting on with your life instead of painting yourself into a corner with this "must be compatible with Xbox and PS3" idea of endless conversions.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Possible it is, but as jman98 wisely pointed out, it hardly would be worth the effort

First, you could convert your DTS-HD streams with eac3to (Arcsoft files recommended / required). Then, convert the uncompressed output through WmNicEnc (intermediate Avisynth file required). At last, combine the new WMA file and the "raw" VC-1 stream into a "complete" .WMV file.

This latter is the most critical "step". SFAIK there are no one-click solutions for re-wrapping VC-1 in a (fully-functional) ASF file (workarounds are NOT one-click solutions, of course). And I don't know how picky an Xbox might be, regarding WMVs generated by non-Microsoft tools.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @El Heggunte,
    If one gets all the way to the point of having a WMA and a VC1 WMV, the remuxing ought to be a breeze. Just use the WM Stream Editor, which comes as one of a few utilities along with WM Encoder (from Microsoft). Haven't tested VC1, but it works will all OTHER ASF/WMV variations that I've tried (quite a bunch).

@bobthegoat2001,
    DTS-HD is not (currently) one of the supported audio formats allowed in a ASF/WMV/WMA file. So you'd have to convert. As was mentioned, the trouble is finding a DTS-HD decoder. Minnetonka makes a QT-based decoder for $25US, but it's MacOSX only and QT only, so you'd have to do OTHER remuxing from there. Minnetonka also makes an ENCODER, but that's also MacOSX-based, and AppleCompressor-specific.
    So as you can see, it's NOT more practical to do it that way.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    To be fair most current media streamers can't handle DTS-HD and Dolby Lossless but at least they can play a wide variety of video formats and as long as you keep the audio to DTS or AC3 (and a few other non-HD formats) you are fine. It's your time and money, but personally I'd advise just buying a media streamer for around $100 and getting on with your life instead of painting yourself into a corner with this "must be compatible with Xbox and PS3" idea of endless conversions.
    I hardly think the PS3 should be lumped in with the Xbox as a poor media streamer. Aside from lack of .mkv support, the PS3 actually streams as well or better than most of the media streaming devices out there.
    Quote Quote