VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded a video from a torrent site. It is an Avi video file with a 1.86GB size. When I author it to dvd using both convertxtodvd and dvdflick the size of vob files is HUGE. It is over 5GB! So now I can't burn it to dvd because my standard dvd size is 4.7GB and it won't fit. Any suggestions? The whole reason that I authored it to dvd is to place subtitles on the video file.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try AVStoDVD and set DVD size to DVD-5 (4.7GB)

The size in bytes of the source is irrelevant to the DVD output size. The file is re-encoded and mpeg-2 has it's own bitrate
    requirement, separate and different from the source.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DVD requires MPEG 2 encoding. The videos you are downloading are compressed with some other codec and have to be converted. Use a lower bitrate for your MPEG 2 encodes. Use a bitrate calculator to determine what bitrate you need for the running time of the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  4. jbitakis you must be doing something wrong with convertx to dvd (vso version i assume) it is very simple program for converting avi files to dvd it works quite well you can even use 2 pass encoding which is much better than other more complicated programs. I use it regularly exactly for subtitles and speed.

That being sad you must specify the target of the dvd ( dvd5 or dvd9) like on the picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.png
Views:	216
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	10086
    and no mater what the size ( its the duration that maters) it will fit the targeted size, one thing that will change like in the bottom of the picture is the quality ( regarding the bitrates necessary to squeeze the files to the dvd
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have used convertxtodvd many times before and never had this problem. Actually what happens is that at the time of burning, I get an error message that basically says that the file is TOO BIG for the dvd in the burner. It is a 4.7 DVD+ R disc. And then what happens is that I get a blue screen and have to shut down the pc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you have other issues besides too big a file. Did you create an ISO or a video_ts folder?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the video_ts folder is over 5GB
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You have been here for almost 5 years and you still don't know the difference between "Authoring" and "Converting" (encoding) from one format to another ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Noahtuck, NO ONE needs your smartass comments. I know the difference between authoring and converting very well thank you.

Now to address the people on this board who want to help others out, NOT LIKE Noahtuck. Convertxtodvd authors ANY video file to be able to play on a dvd. This is why I used it. I was not trying to encode, just author. I have used this software loads of times in the past without this problem. I am thinking that it is the subtitle file that I added to the original avi file that is maybe corrupted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jbitakis View Post
    Hey Noahtuck, NO ONE needs your smartass comments. I know the difference between authoring and converting very well thank you.

Now to address the people on this board who want to help others out, NOT LIKE Noahtuck. Convertxtodvd authors ANY video file to be able to play on a dvd. This is why I used it. I was not trying to encode, just author. I have used this software loads of times in the past without this problem. I am thinking that it is the subtitle file that I added to the original avi file that is maybe corrupted.
    WRONG....you are/were encoding.
    It is an Avi video file with a 1.86GB size
    DVD is MPEG2. You have some sort of AVI file. You are re-encoding the AVI file to DVD MPEG2...then authoring that MPEG2 file to DVD(VIDEO_TS folder).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps the OP doesn't realize what authoring is after all. Authoring is the process of taking the DVD assets,
    compliant mpeg video, audio, subs and packaging them to the video_ts folder to create the IFO, VOB, etc,etc.

Even the ISO, often created as the product of authoring, is just a disk image of the video_ts folder.

Based on this, you should be able to infer (by now) that an AVI file, as-is, is not a valid input to the
    authoring stage.

This is one of the problems with the all in one packages; newbies never get to understand the steps involved
    the same as those who did it with individual programs 7 or 8 years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think davexnet summed it up pretty well but I suppose it's worth mentioning that jbitakis could just burn to DVD+R DL (ONLY buy Verbatim!) if he isn't interested in understanding more about the process that produced this 5 GB file and re-doing it to get a smaller size. Also use ImgBurn for burning. Unless his burner is really really old it should easily be able to burn to DVD+R DL media.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jman98 and davexnet. I only have DVD + R right now (4.7gb) right now. Yes, I could get the DVD+R DL, but I still don't understand why the convertxtodvd did not author & endode it to BE ABLE to fit on my standard DVD? It always has in the past. I have downloaded countless torrent video files that were about 700mb-1.3GB in size (avi files) and a perfect dvd came out. I know that it was compressed but the quality was dvd quality. But in my situation, yes I have the video_ts files that are 5.7gb in size, can I then bring these files over to a software like AVStoDVD and set the size to dvd-5?
    I do understand that convertxtodvd does BOTH Authoring and Encoding.

My question is isn't the endoding supposed to make the files small enough to fit onto the dvd and authoring allows the dvd players to read the dvd video, correct? If this is the case, what happened? I am thinking it was the adding of the subtitles onto it and maybe those subtitle files had some sort of virus attached to them. I will try again without the subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Obviously, convertxtodvd screwed up. There was probably something about the source video that confused it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I know that it was compressed but the quality was dvd quality.
    No it's not. The movie has already been squashed down to 1.86GB. The original quality is gone and can never be restored.

can I then bring these files over to a software like AVStoDVD and set the size to dvd-5?
    Just run that VIDEO_TS folder through DVDShrink....much easier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If the movie was originally encoded to h.264 and was progressive, its "equivalent" quality might have been close to "DVD quality", but one is re-compressing anyway so there will be some loss.

IIWY, I'd either go back to square one and re-convert the original with convertx2dvd, being mindful of the target size, or follow hech54's suggestion and use DVDShrink.

BTW, there is no such thing as a "virus that attaches to subtitles", as subtitles in DVDs are a form of picture and there is no "code execution" going on there.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok i will try the dvdshrink idea. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. DVD Shrink will be quick and easy. Reencoding from the AVI file with the correct bitrate will give better quality.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM

That right there proves you are wrong to anyone who knows the difference....
    I know the difference between authoring and converting very well thank you.
    So obviously you DON'T!!

Just pointing out YOUR mistake,
    downloaded torrent avi video ENLARGES with dvd authoring??
    But you're the one being the smartass instead of learning the difference....
    Oy Vey

I am thinking it was the adding of the subtitles onto it and maybe those subtitle files had some sort of virus attached to them. I will try again without the subtitles.
    LMFAO!!!!
    Boy are you opening yourself up to some serious ridicule!!!!

Mr. I know the difference!!!
    LMAO!!!

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    BTW, there is no such thing as a "virus that attaches to subtitles", as subtitles in DVDs are a form of picture and there is no "code execution" going on there.
    Or a text file, which is used in or with an AVI, MKV, etc. , either way, you are correct!!

hech54 has my back

Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Perhaps the OP doesn't realize what authoring is after all.
    Ya think ?
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 19th Dec 2011 at 22:17.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    There may be no known subtitle exploits but it's certainly possible for images to carry a virus. Look up "buffer overflow" exploits.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_overflow
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_buffer_overflow
    Quote Quote  
  21. Obviously, convertxtodvd screwed up. There was probably something about the source video that confused it.
    yep maybe some codec for video or most probably audio inside avi container ( I bet jbitakis also don't understand that that convert x to dvd is confused with ( but in that case it will say unknown error or source file, or stop the encoding process, and not producing file that is bigger than the dvd5 template )

DVD Shrink will be quick and easy. Reencoding from the AVI file with the correct bitrate will give better quality.
    Maybe jbitakis dont know what is correct bitrate for dvd 5 ( many "pros" don't)

jbitakis The most easiest way to encode and author avi file to dvd if you have vista or windows 7 is trough dvd maker there are tons of tutorials on the YouTube like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzvxxRonYsw&feature=related
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    jbitakis The most easiest way to encode and author avi file to dvd if you have vista or windows 7 is trough dvd maker
    OK...you win. That is the dumbest statement in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  23. OK...you win. That is the dumbest statement in this thread.
    why is that smart men
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    maybe it's the actual avi file that is bad. The thing is, it played fine (before convertxtodvd) off my flash stick via the usb port on my blu ray player. I was trying to put subtitles on it and author and burn it to a dvd. This is where I had the problem and the video_ts file expanded to 5.7gb from 1.3gb. and I got an error message from convertxtodvd saying the file was too big for the standard dvd. I also got the blue screen of death, so I had to shut the computer off and turn it back on.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even if Convertxtodvd produced a 5GB video_ts folder, you can salvage it by running DVD shrink or Rejig.
    It will reduce the size and give you a folder that will fit the DVD.

AVStoDVD has a step where this is done automatically on the very rare occasion that this occurs.
    Perhaps you can include the log from the convertxtodvd run that produced this errant result.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    i guess i'm going to have to be the guy that points this out...it's ridiculous to download a 1.86gb avi from a torrent site and then try to make a dvd out of it.

the movie has most likely been cropped and/or resized from the original 720x480 to some commonly used resolution like 512x384 and the bit rate has been dropped through the floor.

considering you can rent a dvd from netflix for $1 i can think of much easier ways to get a movie i want in dvd quality...
    Last edited by deadrats; 20th Dec 2011 at 18:38.
    Quote Quote  
  27. it's ridiculous to download a 1.86gb avi from a torrent site and then try to make a dvd out of it.
    Depends on the person. I have gotten many a 700mb avi and made into DVD with results perfectly acceptable to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    considering you can rent a dvd from netflix for $1 .
    Or
    - Buy used from Amazon
    - Rent at local mom-and-poop for about $3
    - Rent from RedBox, Blockbuster kiosk, etc for $1
    - Buy from iTunes
    - Rent streaming from Amazon, Dish Online, Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc

The amount of time people piss away on low-quality torrents is unfathomable.
    You have to
    (1) be mighty broke,
    (2) have a lot of time on your hands (which likely has something to do with being broke)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ... or (3) not care about the quality, and just want to see the movie.

I have seen friends happily sit through things that to me are unwatchable.
    Quote Quote  
  30. The amount of time people piss away on low-quality torrents is unfathomable.
    You have to
    (1) be mighty broke,
    (2) have a lot of time on your hands (which likely has something to do with being broke)
    or live in country where the movie will never be available and dont have movie rentals and cinemas project old indian or russian movies like Iran Afghanistan .

Concerning quality there are lots of bdrips ( in 720x576 or 480 sizes )out there x264 files( sizes from 8 gb and more not crippled ones and in some countries internet its almost free speeds over 16 mb/s and a lot of monthly bandwidth storage like mine ) that when encoded to dvd look better than dvd from rental stores ( if they happen to have the movie usually they don't especially the new ones).
    Quote Quote