VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. My WDTV Live originally had problems with color matrices. I don't remember exactly what the problems were but I know that an HD video which alternated between rec.601 and rec.709 played back with only one matrix -- so the video would change colors as it played. I think played all videos as rec.106. It was fixed with a firmware update.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Anonymous344
    I'm using two-pass encoding because I need to fit a flm onto a BD-25. Here is my command-line so far.

Code:
    "x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 30000 --bluray-compat --level 4.1 --preset slow --keyint 24 --sar 1:1 --slices 4 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --b-pyramid none --weightp 0 --colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --merange 24 --deblock -1:-1 --qcomp 0.8 --aq-strength 0.8 --stats ".stats" --output NUL "input.avs"
    "x264.exe" --pass 2 --bitrate 30000 --bluray-compat --level 4.1 --preset slow --keyint 24 --sar 1:1 --slices 4 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --b-pyramid none --weightp 0 --colorprim bt709 --transfer bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --merange 24 --deblock -1:-1 --qcomp 0.8 --aq-strength 0.8 --stats ".stats" --output "output.264" "input.avs"
    At the moment, the first pass looks like the second. How do I perform a fast first pass i.e. what would the command-line for that look like?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are you sure ? Fast first pass is default. You need to explictly use --slow-firstpass or --preset placebo to make it use slower settings

It's normal to begin encoding slowly (as it begins it's lookahead), then speed up a bit
    Quote Quote  
  4. Anonymous344
    Thanks for helping, PDR, but I don't understand the reply. At the moment, my first pass is a copy of the second, which I configured to my liking. I need to know what I can remove from the first-pass portion of the command-line, so that it becomes a fast pass.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry I though you meant it's encoding as slowly as the 1st pass . It's fine the way it is (it's already a "fast" pass)

When you use --pass 1 , the "fast" settings are applied unless you explicity use --slow-firstpass or --preset placebo

http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings#slow-firstpass
    Quote Quote  
  6. Anonymous344
    So it's a fast pass even with --preset slow? The thing is that I usually use CRF encoding and haven't configured a first pass via the command-line before.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes. --pass 1 automatically adds those options in the link to the end of the command line

http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings#slow-firstpass

Using --pass 1 applies the following settings at the end of parsing the command line:
    You can set --slow-firstpass to disable this.
    Note: --preset placebo enables --slow-firstpass.

Quote Quote  
  8. Anonymous344
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Yes. --pass 1 automatically adds those options in the link to the end of the command line
    I see. Whatever options I use for the first pass are overridden unless --slow-firstpass or --preset placebo are specified.

Thanks. I understand now.
    Quote Quote