VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. We record soccer matches from satellite tv and we want to stream them from a Wowza Media server (v3.0.3).

The recordings are mpeg2 transport steams (ts files). Wowza required MP4 containers so we encode those video's using handbrake to MP4 (h264). We choose h264 because we want to support both RTMP and (Apple) HLS streaming.

So far so good. Handbrake produces great quality video but there is one problem; they all have a slight stutter in both audio and video. We've tried adjusting every settings in the advances settings tab but I can't seem to get rid of that stutter. The stutter is always there on certain moments in the video. The original TS video doesn't have this problem.

I'm not an expert in video encoding so I'm asking you if you have any tips, hints or leads that can help me fix this issue?

Here's a link with a (partial) clip that display the stutter behavior: https://test.marviq.net.s3.amazonaws.com/fbm/video.m4v
    This is the preset that I've used: https://test.marviq.net.s3.amazonaws.com/fbm/HLS.plist
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, it stutters a lot and vlc shows the framerate as 25.92... fps.

Try set the frame rate to 25fps instead of Same as source under Video->Framerate(FPS) in handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Baldrick,

Thanks for replying. That's one of the first things I've checked. It makes no difference. Here's an clip rendered at 25fps.

https://test.marviq.net.s3.amazonaws.com/fbm/video25fps.m4v
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post the details from the source mpeg2 ts. Use mediainfo.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Here it is:

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you upload a sample of the original TS file? Would be nice to see if conversation to mp4 exhibits the same stutter for others.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DOwnloaded. I'm trying handbrake in windows and some other converters.

edit: Same stutters with handbrake. It works fine with freemake video converter. I'm going to try avidemux now.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 13th Dec 2011 at 10:32.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi Baldrick,

Thanks for your help. I've also tried Elgato Turbo.264 HD. We don't have the stutter there. But the picture quality is worse then with handbrake. And also we can't stream Elgato encoded video's using Apple's Http Live streaming.

Regards,
    Jan
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded the sample and ran it through iffmpeg at about 2000kbps. Didn't like the interlacing so I ran it again but, this time, deinterlaced it. No stuttering or any other issues that I could see. Perhaps it's a bitrate issue (as in, too high)?

edit: Just checked the plist you uploaded and it looks like you used a little under 1000kbps so bitrate shouldn't be the issue.

edit2: Here's the converted file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1nynyc
    Last edited by rumplestiltskin; 13th Dec 2011 at 11:22.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok so It's a handbrake specific issue?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, it looks like that. It works fine with all other converters.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes definitely a handbrake problem, I even tried it with my latest released "video.NET" and it exhibits the same stutter. But one thing to note, when I tried it on my later unreleased version which uses the nightly build, all was fine. I then downloaded the latest nightly of handbrake GUI and again, all was fine, so whatever the problem was, it has been fixed.

If the OP still wants to use the HandbrakeGUI, download the latest nightly, you may be in luck!
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've downloaded the nightly build and your right! No more problems. Thanks you guys for this advice!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great to hear it, happy converting and enjoy your football.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Perfect!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a few Xvid's with MP3 audio that end up out of sync with the 0.9.5 Handbrake release. I'm trying the nightly build right now; maybe...maybe.

edit: Nope; wasn't Handbrake's fault. They were poorly sync'd Xvid's which, after converting to H264's, I re-sync'd with QTSync.
    Last edited by rumplestiltskin; 14th Dec 2011 at 10:41.
    Quote Quote