VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't seem to be able to get NewBlue to open. Anyone else have this problem? It activated OK. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. It shows in the media generators but no program comes up.
    Depends what the definition of the word inhale is.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. I was not moving it into the timeline. All OK!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I'm interested in the opinions on this program. If you've had the chance to use it, how is it? Easy to learn and use and powerful?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To be honest, I don't know why this application even exists, let alone why someone would actually pay for it, maybe that's why it's free in Vegas 11.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    To be honest, I don't know why this application even exists, let alone why someone would actually pay for it, maybe that's why it's free in Vegas 11.

Why the negative words on this product? Didn't it just come out? From the video I saw from newblue about it, it looks useful. Another forum I read also put down the software even before they had a chance to try it out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The reason I put it down is that titling is not so terribly difficult that a special plugin is needed. I'm against plugins, in general, that don't offer something unique that would be difficult or impossible to create yourself.

Part of learning a craft is to get your mind down to the elemental level and understand the fundamentals, then take that concept and make your own art. Like Sony's logo has "make.believe" on it. Whoever came up with that really understands the nature of art, and this craft is all about self expression.

Plugins like these limit creativity by serving up ready made content like a buffet line, where you pick and choose from a finite selection.

Also, these plugins have a learning curve, nomenclature, etc. that ties up your brain and it's more stuff to remember that's specific to ONE simple task, and not worth it mentally.

If I see an effect on TV that I like, I won't go out and buy some product to create that effect, unless I can't do it on my own, and absolutely have to have it, like a particle generator. And I would NEVER do the effect the same way, I would "roll my own" iteration of it.

Eventually you will discover that following the rest of the sheep doesn't distinguish you with the right crowd, then, butterfly, you will have learned.

You've got to "Make Believe" before you can "Make.Believe" Kapeesh?
    Last edited by budwzr; 16th Dec 2011 at 10:39.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Interesting words budwzr. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
    I'm interested in the opinions on this program. If you've had the chance to use it, how is it? Easy to learn and use and powerful?
    I too am interested. I know Photoshop but am always interested in quick easy alternatives. I have outputted PC presentation programs to VHS for titling back in the day and was very satisfied.

My impression of NewBlue titler is that it is Sony's nose under the camels tent. NewBlue seems to want to be Sony's 'After Effects'. Vegas is less expensive than Adobe. Sony wants us to buy in and then buy addon programs. Sounds like a business strategy. I just got an offer from Sony for their GPU-Accelerated Collection at $399. Seems to be their version of 'After Effects'? Next they will be sending me info on Sony audio solutions.

I like gizmos and addons. I will be taking a close look at NewBlue.
    Last edited by videobread; 17th Dec 2011 at 10:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That $399 collection dates back several years, so the first half of it has lost it's "wow" factor, and motion graphics has taken center stage as the "must have" FX.

Personally, I like HitFilm Ultimate as a complement to Vegas. It has all the NewBlue-type stuff, AE-type stuff, and Titling-type stuff all in one standalone program, so you can shuttle back and forth with Vegas.

And for 3D work, BluffTitler or Aurora 3D Animation Maker are really good dedicated programs that are cheap.

One of the downsides of plugins is that you're forced to work in a window, and that can get tedious. And if the plugin crashes, the NLE crashes too. When you run an app within an app, the system resources will max out real quick too. 3D work is processor intensive.

However, to be fair, the NewBlue Titler is very good, certainly the best titler ever offered in Vegas. It does have 3D. The question is, does it provide enough flexibility to do EXACTLY what you want? Or do you have to settle on something less ambitious. Also, it's FREE.

As far as the camel nose under the tent goes, NewBlue has always been a Vegas partner. But NB has "rested on it's laurels" for too long and has fallen behind since AE came out and changed the ballgame.

I think the reason NB Titler is free in Vegas is that NB wants to reconnect with all the Vegas users. Their plugins always provide a direct contact path for announcements and promotions, and when Sony changed to OFX maybe they lost contact. Certainly, there is some politics involved because nothing is really free.

On the other hand, Sony has partnered up with HitFilm now too. Probably because NewBlue failed to deliver compelling FX. It's no surprise that something like HitFilm was able to swoop in from seemingly out of nowhere, and pop into Vegas.

HitFilm is a UK company, SCS is a US company, the CEO of Sony Worldwide is a Brit, Sony Worldwide owns SCS. So the two products cross-pollinate quite well over the pond, with both sides speaking English. Brilliant strategy as far as globalization goes.

HitFilm and Vegas Pro together gives you a complete solution for around a grand.
    Last edited by budwzr; 17th Dec 2011 at 10:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
    Interesting words budwzr. Thanks.
    Here's a place to go to really get into this stuff at a deeper level.

http://www.fxguide.com/forums/index.php

P.S. This is where the big dogs live. They won't have a lot of patience, so tread lightly
    Last edited by budwzr; 17th Dec 2011 at 11:42.
    Quote Quote