VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I have one of these cheap video cards but with a HDMI output, I have realized that the audio is not sent through the HDMI signal.

Please, is there a way to achieve this ? My MOBO has built-in audio, but I use an external USB creative audio device.

I believe that I would need a new video card with the HDMI capability of "reading" the audio signal from the OS, not from the audio hardware ?

Thanks for helping,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
  2. It will be a matter of whether your current card is capable of this, knowing what card you have would be helpful.

Usually you have to set your default audio device to the card's HDMI, have you tried this?

If that card, whatever it is, can't do it, then you will need another video card.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try unplugging the external speakers from your computer. I have to do that to use HDMI audio. I, eventually, wound up plugging my speakers into the front of my machine to make this easier. A minor PITA, but it works.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What brand is your TV? Samsung makes a great quality TV, but on the downside their models are rather infamous for HDMI synch issues. Starting the device BEFORE you switch the TV to its input sometimes fixes this issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Thanks for replying, my card is an ASUS GeForce 9400 GT.

My TV is a Toshiba.

When shuffling through Windows audio options, I don`t see an HDMI option. I right click on the speaker symbol, access the audio options, but I see no HDMI option. I see though the options to choose the built-in audio card or my external USB creative audio card.

Thanks for helping,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look at your install disk for the video card,it may not have installed the HDMI audio driver. I had a card were I had to manually install the HDMI audio driver,the auto-install failed to install it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Click Start-->Control Panel-->Sounds and Audio Devices-->Audio Tab
    Change "Sound Playback" "Default Device" to that of your video card.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I`ve taken a look at the video card itself, there is no plug to internally connect an audio cable from the MOBO built-in audio card;

When looking at the audio playback options, I see the built-in audio card, the external USB card, but I don`t see an HDMI audio driver, reinstalling the driver unfortunately hasn`t led me anywhere.

I remember that when I bought this video card, I only wanted something cheap, as I am not a gamer, anyway I wonder if it would still be possible that ASUS manufactured a video card without the option to pass the audio through HDMI

Its NVIDIA control panel indeed has some 3D settings, so maybe it`s not as poor as I first thought...

I am currently outputting the video to the PC, and the HDMI output to the 46" TV, in a clone display setting. However, the absence of audio through the HDMI doesn`t allow me to connect it to the AVR;

Any insight please ? Should I buy a new video card ? What would you suggest please, based on dual output requirement and audio through HDMI of course,

Thanks,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
  9. The answer is in a combination of two of the previous thread items. You probably have to manually install the HDMI audio drivers (such as from realtek) and make sure it is selected audio source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by svcdmaker View Post
    The answer is in a combination of two of the previous thread items. You probably have to manually install the HDMI audio drivers (such as from realtek) and make sure it is selected audio source.
    Thanks, but shouldn`t the audio driver come from the video card manufacturer, eg, ASUS ?

Realtek is the maker of the on-board audio card;

Thanks,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zetti View Post
    Originally Posted by svcdmaker View Post
    The answer is in a combination of two of the previous thread items. You probably have to manually install the HDMI audio drivers (such as from realtek) and make sure it is selected audio source.
    Thanks, but shouldn`t the audio driver come from the video card manufacturer, eg, ASUS ?

Realtek is the maker of the on-board audio card;

Thanks,

Zetti
    Audio output from the video card's HDMI port is controlled by the onboard audio card's drivers, not the video card's drivers.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Dec 2011 at 23:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to everybody, I spent hours this evening on thyis, with no luck at all.

I have updated the nVIDIA and realtek drivers, but still I don`t see a HDMI or SPDIF output playback option.

It looks like I'd have to hook up an internal SPDIF cable from the MOBO to the video card, by all means I didn`t find a SPDIF plug at the 9400 card

All I can think of is sthat this particular video card, bought in 2009, wasn`t made to support HDMI audio ?

Thanks,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In my video card invoice, it is written "ASUS GEFORCE 9400GT Low Profile Card - 550MHz - 512MB GDDR2 SDRAM 64 bi"

I believe it`s this one:

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/EN9400GTDI512MD2LP/

Please, anyone out there familiar with this card ? I couldn`t see a SPDIF connector in it

Thanks a lot,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
  14. I used to use a GF 9400GT which had HDMI out, I did need to connect a small cable to the SPDIF on the motherboard in order to get sound through HDMI.

The SPDIF connector on the card wasn't labeled, there were just two small pins, which needed a cable like this:
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Folks,

The problem has been solved, it was on the device located between the seat and the keyboard...

After re-examining my video card, I found the SPDIF connector, it was not in the position shown in the manual.

Well, it`s working now,

Thanks to everybody !

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mh2360 View Post
    I used to use a GF 9400GT which had HDMI out, I did need to connect a small cable to the SPDIF on the motherboard in order to get sound through HDMI.

The SPDIF connector on the card wasn't labeled, there were just two small pins, which needed a cable like this:
    Thanks a lot !

Zetti
    Quote Quote