VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im getting all my old dvds out of boxes, i want to put my favourites on external hard drives but i want them to have the directors commentary AND the standard audio

how do i go about doing this, id like it to be in 1 file and have it so in my WD media box connected to the tv i just go to audio and choose standard or commentary audio files

how exactly do i do this?
    i havent ripped any of my dvds for years, only program i have to rip on this new laptop is dvd shrink

the easiest way possible would be nice, as i have hundreds of dvds to rip

thanks guys
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV if you don't need to shrink. Be sure to test the mkvs on your wd before you rip all.

If you want to shrink or if the makemkvs doesn't work perfect on your wd, rip with dvdfab decrypter and then convert/shrunk with vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so whats the easiest, quickest way of taking my dvds and ripping them to 1 file each on an external harddrive, regardless of the format avi mkv etc as long as it looks decent?

i have thousands of dvds to do so whatever is quickest and easiest..especially for tv series, saves me changing discs i can have them all on a hard drive
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i use vidcoder, but for episodic dvds using vob2mpg may work better at getting 1 file, it will be mpg-2 though.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, here is something that is troubling me
    im currently ripping all my seinfeld dvds to my hard drive.. one of the episodes played with the commentary as the audio when i converted it to avi
    i went back, and saw the vob has all the audio but when i add it to freemake video converter it comes out in the commentary track as thats the audio track 1

how do i get around this?

when i ripped it on dvdshrink, you can only choose the audio tracks when ripping the whole dvd i did it by episode so there was no way of choosing what audio tracks it rips

help

im stumped
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't the compression tab be selected?
    This Simpson disk, in Re-author mode to select an episode, still allows the streams to be set.

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    its so simple, cant believe i didnt try that

Thanks heaps Sambat
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if i keep all audio tracks, when i convert it to avi or mkv, will it have all audio tracks to choose from or just what was audio track number 1?

cause i assumed on my WD media player i could go to audio and select commentary or standard audio
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh, 2 more quick questions

how do you know which audio file is the standard and the commentary? as when i play it on vlc the standard is audio track 5, but when i rip it with audio track 5 its the commentary?????? they are all the same file size 32mb

also, what size should i convert them to, undecided whether to do mkv or avi...i dont know the difference.. but for a 22min show what size do you recommend? and also a 50 min show and 120 min long movie?
    is there a certain size per minute long ratio i should use? ( btw i am watching them on a 50" tv not the computer)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dvd shrink has stopped working
    says Invalid navigation error or programming error on all my dvds now, was working fine

what the hell is going on?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by angryassdrummer View Post
    dvd shrink has stopped working
    says Invalid navigation error or programming error on all my dvds now, was working fine

what the hell is going on?
    What are you using to rip?

DVD Shrink hasn't been updated in years and it can't correctly rip DVDs that use some bad sector copy protection methods that came out after its last update. It also can't shrink DVDs that weren't ripped with rippers that understand how to deal with those copy protection methods.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im ripping all of my seinfeld dvds
    i successfully did all of season 8 and 3/4 of season 9 then on season 9 disc 4 is wouldnt read the disc ( the disc is near perfect in condition)

kept saying invalid navigation errror when i tried opening the disc in shrink

now none of my dvds are opening at all in shrink
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im convinced its nothing to do with copyright...it says error right at the start when i go to open a dvd..even when i have had problems with copyright it still went through the open disc start procedure. doesnt have the dvd title either ie seinfeld disc 2... just says dvd_video

cant think what would of caused this issue
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use DVDFab Decrypter rather than DVD Shrink, to rip the DVDs? (You might also see if DVD Decrypter will work; you can always keep all three (DVDFab, Decrypter and Shrink) installed all at once and use whatever's necessary for the job you're trying to do.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote