VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am having trouble deciding how to spend money and get a 5.1 Audio Setup. Since i will be using a TV and media Player, what components will i need? Is an amp/AVR really necessary, or can i connect everything to the TV or Media Player?

Can i get something decent with as little as 600 Euros?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TVs don't often have good audio systems/speakers, so I wouldn't consider that myself. I use a surround sound amp and system that my computers and DVD players play through. You should be able to find some entry level systems that include the amp and speakers for a reasonable price.

I use S/PDIF audio out from the PC to the amplifier. Most any motherboard has that available from the sound chip. I made a adapter for S/PDIF coaxial audio from spare parts and it works great. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/333711-S-PDIF-connectors-and-making-your-own-MB-S-PDIF-connector?

With most amps, you can also feed the TV audio to it. I'll assume your TV has an audio out, at least stereo out. A stand alone media player should also have some audio out compatible with a amplifier.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I keep searching, but the more i do, the more questions i have. Like

-What's the difference of use between an AMP and an AVR? Is the AVR an AMP as well, but it can also multiplex a/v? But not as good an amp as an AMP exclusive unit?

-What connectors do the speakers use? Can i use any type o speakers on 5.1 amps?

I'm looking at an Onkyo TX-NR509. But can i use some old speakers i got from a sony HiFi that had some nude wires on the end as connectors?

Click image for larger version

Name:	602717_a8d36ba93f_R640x320.png
Views:	201
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	9971Click image for larger version

Name:	602802_af09297028_R640x320.png
Views:	212
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	9972
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got an Onkyo TX-NR708 and have been very very happy with it. Only have 3.0 setup right now but should be hooking up the sub this week(end). Hopefully get to the rears sooner or later. For connections: Dish Netowrk (hdmi), BluRay(hdmi), WDTV Live (hdmi), Wii(component) and the occasional Xbox360 (front HDMI) when the kids come home from school on break. One hdmi connection from Onkyo to TV.

Best feature? WAF. The remote has a 'My TV' button that will turn on the avr, dish reciever and TV, and, an 'All Off' button to turn them all off. I could explain to her everything else it does, but, that's the feature she likes most.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    -What's the difference of use between an AMP and an AVR? Is the AVR an AMP as well, but it can also multiplex a/v? But not as good an amp as an AMP exclusive unit?
    Generally, the difference between and amp and an receiver is the built in radio tuner on the receiver. An AV receiver switches video as well as audio. Better AV receivers also convert between digital and analog video.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    Generally, the difference between and amp and an receiver is the built in radio tuner on the receiver. An AV receiver switches video as well as audio. Better AV receivers also convert between digital and analog video.
    Ok so a receiver, is an amp as well as an av switcher/converter. I dont care much about these features, but as far as amplification goes, does it do well compared to an AMP that doesn't handle switching and radio?

Meaning are the 400Euro worth it, or can i connect 5.1 speakers using cheaper non-AVR equipment and get similar or better results?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    Ok so a receiver, is an amp as well as an av switcher/converter.
    An AV receiver is an amp as well as an AV switcher. There are also audio receivers which only handle audio.

I dont care much about these features, but as far as amplification goes, does it do well compared to an AMP that doesn't handle switching and radio?
    The designations "amp", "receiver" and "AV receiver" say nothing about the quality of the components. A non-av receiver may be a little cheaper if you don't need video switching. Amps are more often aimed at high end audio purists. But you can find all three in all price categories.

For your purposes a US$150 AV receiver will probably be fine -- unless you want rock concert volume levels. In my opinion, speakers are far more critical than the amp/receiver. Go to a big electronics store where they have many different amps and speakers set up where you can easily switch between them. You'll see that different brand/model of speaker sounds very obviously different. You'll be hard pressed to tell any difference between amps/receivers.
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Dec 2011 at 10:20.
    Quote Quote  
  8. If i just get the AVR, will i be able to connect my OLD speakers? They had connectors like the following, and the wire finish was as such:

Name:  Mini_speaker_terminal_wire_connector_WP2_4.summ.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  2.9 KB
    Name:  speaker%20wire.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  5.4 KB

So all in all the amp doesnt make the difference but the speakers do. So equaliser functions and signal processing (DSP) and factors like these dont really matter that much on the final outcome? I just want to feel confident about my purchase and since i dont have any prior knowledge i dont know what to be looking for.

Also if i get the 5.1 AVR can I connect directly a separate set of 2.1 Speakers for music playback? Or i will then have to get a 2.1 AMP/AVR as well?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Most AV receivers have binding post for bare wires. In addition to 5.1 receivers you'll see 6.1, and 7.1. Many will have A/B switching to allow connecting alternate speakers. The more expensive receivers will have more sound effect options, more power, and less distortion.

Take a look at something like this as a baseline system (US$185):

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR309-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B004O0TRCE/ref=sr_1_4...3301701&sr=1-4
    Quote Quote  
  10. I see, and if they don't have these connectors, is there a way to connect the bare wires to connectors such as the ones found on nr-509 i posted above?

I dont care much about 6.1/7.1 as most movies are on 5.1 so for me it is not worth the extra money for more expensive equipment and more speakers.

BTW, so if i connect just front and center speakers to listen to my music colection, will it be the same as having a 2.1 amp/AVR?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
    I see, and if they don't have these connectors, is there a way to connect the bare wires to connectors such as the ones found on nr-509 i posted above?
    They often have hybrid connectors for other types of plugs but they always have connectors for bare speaker wire.

BTW, so if i connect just front and center speakers to listen to my music colection, will it be the same as having a 2.1 amp/AVR?
    You can leave all the speakers connected -- just select 2.0 or 2.1, or 3.0 mode on the receiver.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for using your old speakers make sure that they are the correct Impedance
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote