VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello.

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but, if somebody wanted to insert a smaller picture, of another video clip, inside the big picture of the current video being edited/rendered/created, would Sony Vegas be able to do it?
    Also, can you tell me how, please?

Just to be perfectly clear, I'm talking the same thing as the introduction, in some sports broadcasts, of a smaller picture of the commentators or the audience, playing on top of the real broadcast.
    (It doesn't matter, I should hope, whether the two clips are the same resolution, and I would imagine it would be possible to re-size the smaller clip as desired. Right?)

Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    I use Sony Vegas Studio and I can do this easily. I don't have the time to post how. I have Bill Myers 101 Tips and Tricks to using Sony Vegas Studio DVD and he shows how to do this. You might check his videos on youtube and see if he has one with the picture in picture.

If I recall - you put the video you want to be in the small box on the top video track, or at least above your main video track. You then go
    to pan and crop and zoom in to make the box smaller. Position it where you want. Or go to event pan and crop and do it.

Someone else can explain it better. I'm in a rush.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use "Track Motion".
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Place the video you want to be the smalller PIP in the track above your main video.

Open the track motion window with the icon that is immediately to the right of the name of the track where you placed the second video.

The rectangle in the window represents the video you want to resize and move.

To resize, grab one on the corners of the rectangle and drag it. You will see the effect of your action in the preview window.

You can fine tune the size of window using the Width: and Height: adjustments that are in the Position control area at the left side of the Track Motion window.

To make an adjustment select which item you want. Either type in a new coordinate, click and hold on the up-down arrow adjustment and drag up or down or click either the up or down arrow to adjust one pixel at a time.

You can reposition your resized window using the X: and Y: adjustments, again in the Position control area.

When the your PIP is sized and positioned properly, close the Track Motion window.

The videos may have different resolutions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jeanpave View Post
    (It doesn't matter, I should hope, whether the two clips are the same resolution, and I would imagine it would be possible to re-size the smaller clip as desired. Right?)
    The pixel resolution doesn't matter, but the aspect ratio might be different. In that case you need to use the pan/crop tool first, right click on it, and select "Match output aspect ratio".

Note: The track motion tool can scale or stretch, but it cannot crop.

For further reference, if you "parent/child" the two tracks they will flatten and behave as a single track. Useful if you need a PIP-in-a-PIP-in-a-PIP, etc.
    Last edited by budwzr; 6th Dec 2011 at 07:59.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you very much, everybody!
    Quote Quote