VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I need to convert a couple of videos to m4v, so they are fully compatible with all apple devices.
    I use mencoder and ffmpeg on linux, they can be easily automated. BUT I couldn't find a decent way to get the thing working. All files are buggy/defective/partially working. Some have no audio, others have weird speed bugs etc...
    I also looked on the web for resources, with litle luck..
    HTML Code:
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-quicktime-7.html
    VideoHelp Users suggested these commands in my previous post, where I needed to convert mss2 files:
    Code:
    mencoder ccent10.wmv -o ccent10.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac faac -faacopts quality=120
    ffmpeg -i ccent10.avi -vcodec copy -acodec copy -absf aac_adtstoasc ccent10.mp4
    These work, but not with QuickTime. I need to put them in a media server AND use them in macs/iPods.
    I think H264 would be nice because it requires less CPU power (expecially in older PowerPCs), Xvid has some trouble, other codecs don't work...

What can I use to make files as "universal" as possible, expecially on apple devices?
    I also installes X264, it it good for making these files?

Thank you very muxh! : )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try handbrake there's a nix version.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried the GUI... makes HUGE files. I would like to use mencoder and ffmpeg, they work better. I only need the right parameters for standard m4v files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mc128k View Post
    I would like to use mencoder and ffmpeg, they work better. I only need the right parameters for standard m4v files
    Yes, you need to find the x264 parameters for mencoder, to replace this part of your mencoder command:-
    ... -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 ...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    x264 or H.264? I tried using x264 for converting files, but with little luck.
    Quote Quote