VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I am using DVD Flick on my new 2 month old laptop I have burnt a film to DVD disc verbatim - disc. DVD flick has encoding the film and correctly burnt it to disc, but the discs jump on my home DVD player and the power DVD on the laptop won't play the disc. I am using windows 7 64 bit. On my old laptop that I had last year I used DVD Flick and did it exactly the same way as I do now same discs everything discs didn't jump on home DVD player and power DVD on laptop used to open the disc as soon as the film was burned to disc. So I'm confused as to what could be going wrong. There are no errors showing on the log files. Any help would be appreciated please.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. What brand of disc are you using and what speed are you burning at?

Ideally, you should burn at half the rated disc speed (but I don't know whether this can be altered or not in DVD Flick).

DVD Flick gets mixed reviews on the comments page.

I prefer ConvertXtoDVD myself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use DVD Flick all of the time (also on a Win 7 64 bit machine) and have not had this problem. However, I am using version 1.3.06, the older version. I've found that 1.3.07 has a problem converting certain files, such as FLV files. You might try installing the older version and trying again.
    Since Flick uses ImgBurn to do the actual burning, I doubt that it is a burning issue. While I have heard that ConvertXtoDVD is a good program, Flick handles my needs well and it is a free program
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by PhoneMatt View Post
    I use DVD Flick all of the time (also on a Win 7 64 bit machine) and have not had this problem. However, I am using version 1.3.06, the older version. I've found that 1.3.07 has a problem converting certain files, such as FLV files. You might try installing the older version and trying again.
    Since Flick uses ImgBurn to do the actual burning, I doubt that it is a burning issue. While I have heard that ConvertXtoDVD is a good program, Flick handles my needs well and it is a free program
    Hi, yeah I am using version 1.3.0.7 on this laptop and the image burn that comes with dvdflick was from someone called lightining I don't remember that version on my old machine I think I might reinstall to 1.3.0.6 then

Hope that will do it,

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    What brand of disc are you using and what speed are you burning at?

Ideally, you should burn at half the rated disc speed (but I don't know whether this can be altered or not in DVD Flick).

DVD Flick gets mixed reviews on the comments page.

I prefer ConvertXtoDVD myself.
    Hi, I'm using verbatim DVD - burning at 4x exactly what I did on my old machine and they played really well no jumping or anything. So frustrating just want to get it up and running

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  6. Was just wondering since it was a while since I used DVD flick from losing my old machine can't remember if I'm burning straight to disc there and then do I tick the box where it says create ISO image or do I just burn the project itself straight to disc was just thinking if that might have something to do with where I'm going wrong aswell.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Probably not. I always burn directly to disc, but if I do create an ISO, I burn it later with ImgBurn. ImgBurn, is probably the best burning program around and definitely the best free burning program. When LightningUK upgrades it, I usually manually upgrade it in DVD Flick, to keep it up to date. There aren't too many shareware programs that I donate to, but this is one of them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by PhoneMatt View Post
    Probably not. I always burn directly to disc, but if I do create an ISO, I burn it later with ImgBurn. ImgBurn, is probably the best burning program around and definitely the best free burning program. When LightningUK upgrades it, I usually manually upgrade it in DVD Flick, to keep it up to date. There aren't too many shareware programs that I donate to, but this is one of them.
    Do you think I should change to 1.3.0.6 then as I'm not that clued up on computers I'm a beginner.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just been looking on my machine where when you convert you get a folder where it says DVD inside it is video TS files which DVD flick has converted from AVI. Well my power DVD player on my machine will play them fine that's what's bugging me why won't power DVD play the disc itself.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Normally, I would question the media that you are using. But, Verbatim's are the best to use. Are you using the Verbs with the purple label or the white label? Those with the white labels are a lesser quality, and really shouldn't be used. The other thing to try, is to put the disc in another DVD player. Does it play there? If it plays in the second player, you may have a problem with your machine. Generally, files may play fine on your computer, but mess up in a stand alone player.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Pumkinhead View Post
    ... Well my power DVD player on my machine will play them fine that's what's bugging me why won't power DVD play the disc itself.

Cheers
    Hi Pumkinhead,

I am suspecting that your Disc has Not been finalized Correctly ...

Also, in DVDFlick look under the Tab "Project Settings" and see if by accident you have not ticked something that it shouldn't be ticked!

G!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by PhoneMatt View Post
    Normally, I would question the media that you are using. But, Verbatim's are the best to use. Are you using the Verbs with the purple label or the white label? Those with the white labels are a lesser quality, and really shouldn't be used. The other thing to try, is to put the disc in another DVD player. Does it play there? If it plays in the second player, you may have a problem with your machine. Generally, files may play fine on your computer, but mess up in a stand alone player.
    I tell a White lie the discs I have been using all the time have been Maxwell DVD - data/video gold colour. That's what I meant to say I have verbatim for my CDs for music and stuff got mixed up. I have tried the DVDs in another stand alone player they play for about 2 mins and then start jumping and then just stop saying unable to read disc.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No problem. Try the Verbatim's, in the blue or orange pack. (Sorry, but I forgot what they are called. I seem to remember that the discs in the white label package are called Datalife or something similar. Those are the discs to avoid.) Maxell used to make really good dicsc, but haven't in a long time.
    Gonwk- DVD Flick closes the disc as part of the conversion process.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by PhoneMatt View Post
    No problem. Try the Verbatim's, in the blue or orange pack. (Sorry, but I forgot what they are called. I seem to remember that the discs in the white label package are called Datalife or something similar. Those are the discs to avoid.) Maxell used to make really good dicsc, but haven't in a long time.
    Gonwk- DVD Flick closes the disc as part of the conversion process.
    Will try verbatim will get some during the week and I'll let you know how I get on will let you know then whats happening since you've been really helpful See you later

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  15. You may be burning them too slow. I've always burned DVDs at 16x when possible and never had any issues with DVD Flick. I also use Verbatims. Try a 16x burn and see what happens. Failing that I'd start suspecting the DVD burner.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    You may be burning them too slow. I've always burned DVDs at 16x when possible and never had any issues with DVD Flick. I also use Verbatims. Try a 16x burn and see what happens. Failing that I'd start suspecting the DVD burner.
    Hi was just about to go to shops and get some new discs when my friend brougt his DVD player round and have a guess what my DVD played like a dream no stuttering and stopping this is the same disc I was telling you about the other day that would not play on my two stand alone DVD players, although the same make of disc worked perfectly well last year when it was burnt from my old machine. I also found out because I'd written it down I was using DVD flick version 1.3.0.2. Well that's one problem solved at least DVD flick and my new machine can burn films to disc now. However do you know if there is any settings or a way that you can get the power DVD player to open the films as soon as they finished burning like my old machine used to and I still can't understand why the burnt disc won't play on the machine.

Cheers
    Quote Quote