VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. my JVC GRD-93 gave me the E03 error over the weekend. i still have a pile of tapes to convert to dvd. my options for a new miniDV camcorder seem to be limited since everything now seems to use flash or disk drives. i am considering purchasing a used miniDV camcorder for playback so I can transfer the tapes I have. If I clean the heads and the tapes were all recorded in SP mode, what type of quality issues can I expect or since it's just playback and it's all bits and bytes will there be no change in quality?

mark
    Quote Quote  
  2. As long as the camcorder can read the tapes there should be no difference in quality at the firewire port. The camera simply reads the compressed DV off the tape and sends it to the firewire port. The computer reads the compressed data from the firewire port and wraps it in an AVI container. So the data in the AVI file is exactly the same data that's on the tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MiniDV SP mode should work fine. LP mode (narrow tracks) has less probability of tracking on a different camcorder than the one that recorded the tape.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote